Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Last time out, right hull had a fair amount of water in it. The day was not that rough and I plan to hit some larger water this season. Some of you know how to handle this....also I need a used TRAMP Thanks Guys :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sound like you have a leak or you forgot the drain plug, or over/under tighten the plug.

To find a leak, you use a bubbles test. All you need is some soap water and a source of air pressure. I use a rechargeable air mattress pump. Make sure you don't over pressurize you hulls or you will make a bigger damage than you are fixing. Then spray the soap water and see there the bubbles are coming from. Use just enough pressure to see the bubbles, you will need a helper to do this.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How much water
Some leakage is no big deal most of the many Hobies I have owned leak a little
you might be concerned over nothing big
former Hobie Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, here is deal.
The former owner of this boat put a 6 inch hole in the top of the each hull. He did a nice job putting in the screw-tight, marine plug/cap. Since I have owned it the cap was pushed through and the threads on the female part were broken. I fixed this plastic part with double tube epoxy. I only used the epoxy on the plastic cap and on no parts of the hulls.
This "fix" maybe the source of my problem, however it was an EZ day on the water and I dont recall water over the top of the hulls.

I am not sure at this point how much water I had in the hull. I would love to know what you consider to be an acceptable level???? Thanks Pete

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do a bubble test, it is the only way to find the leak(s). What I do is just take a piece of about 1/2" dia hose, wrap some tape around the end so it fits nice and tight, and jam it in the drain plug hole. Then blow about 10 to 20 lung fulls of air into the hull and spray down the hulls with soapy water from a hand sprayer. If I have a helper, I let them spray the hulls while I put my finger over the hose. If I'm by myself, I use a pair of vice grips to clamp the hose while I spray the boat.

Wherever you see bubbles, you have a leak. There's no point trying to guess where the leaks are, just do the bubble test.

I would say anywhere from a couple cups to a half a gallon (on a rough day) per hull is a reasonable amount of leakage. It's rare for a boat not to leak at least a little. Anything over a gallon I would consider excessive, but I have owned and sailed Hobies that leaked even more than that. For those boats, I usually carry a sponge to get the water out while sailing (between races).

sm

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Couple of used tramps for sale in the classifieds at decent prices.