Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Solo righting...
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Would it be possible for me, a 195lb, fit, 34 year old newbie to solo right my 16? Or will I definitely need a righting bucket?

Love the forum & Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Solo righting...
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am 6'5" 225lbs..

In flat water I can't right the boat.. sometimes it works.. but not all.. but then again.. I have only dumped it in those conditions just to see if I could get it back up without any aids.

If there is enough air to blow the boat over 8+mph I can right the boat without problems at all.. All I need is just enough air to lift the main just off the lake.. my weight is enough to pull the mast out of the water...

when goofing off I love to test the limits of how high and far I can fly a hull.. I capsize pretty regularly. Often flipping just to take a break instead of heading back to the beach..

I would carry a righting bag if I were you. and make certain the mast is sealed. If you have any kind of leaking at all.. you don't stand a chance.

If I am going to be out alone.. and in conditions I am not sure I can right the boat.. I bring along a paddle.. If I can't right the boat.. I stick the end of the paddle in the deck lip then tie it up to the tramp lacing to stabilize it.. Then walk out.. lean back.. and it pops right up.. No problem.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ronholm wrote:
.. I stick the end of the paddle in the deck lip then tie it up to the tramp lacing to stabilize it.. Then walk out.. lean back.. and it pops right up.. No problem.

I'm interested in this method but can't visualise, please explain with more detail, perhaps diagram if possible. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:26 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

GregCatSkipper wrote:
ronholm wrote:
.. I stick the end of the paddle in the deck lip then tie it up to the tramp lacing to stabilize it.. Then walk out.. lean back.. and it pops right up.. No problem.

I'm interested in this method but can't visualise, please explain with more detail, perhaps diagram if possible. Thanks.
It's a poor man's righting pole - using the paddle as a lever to help get your weight further outboard.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

GregCatSkipper wrote:
ronholm wrote:

Matt.. If this is in bad form.. (stealing pix from beachcats) I will find different pictures..

But this is basically what I am talking about..

Only I only use a short wooden paddle which is probably not even 3 ft long. I have even used a telescoping paddle in a pinch.. But it requires of course stepping from the hull to the ropes tying it off...

On my wooden paddle I have a little neoprene sleeve which slips over the end of the paddle to help it grip and protects the boat a little better.

I use this knot to secure the stabilizing line to my paddle..

http://www.animatedknots.com/icicle/ind ... dknots.com

With my short paddle there are some limitations.. I am hiked out off the paddle, meaning some balance and physical ability is required in any kind of rough water... but the system is simple and cheap.. and probably stuff you are already carrying on the boat. Or could/should carry on the boat anyway. Using a longer pole/paddle as shown in the picture above would make the system easier to use.. but require carrying a larger pole.

and be careful.. while this setup certainly works well enough for my needs.. it would be easy to get careless and break the paddle damaging yourself or your boat. Or whatever...

My advice is worth what you paid for it..

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you are not worried about being class legal for racing why don't you buy the shroud extender solo righting system. It is comparable in price to a bag with blocks and a lot easier to use.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

170 lbs

I have used...

shroud extenders(work great) just make sure you have the mast captive strap.

also used the righting bag..a canvas bag you fill with water and throw over your shoulder. works pretty good.

I have also used a heavy duty trash bafg in the same way.

I have also pulled a 16 up with no device or help...but it was blowin about 15.

Best advice is don't flip!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Korz wrote:
Best advice is don't flip!!!

I think that is terrible advice. :lol:

The folks who spend their time on a 16 fearing the capsize miss out on half the fun.

:lol: :lol:

It also should be noted..

It is totally possible to capsize and right a Hobie 16 without getting wet... 8)

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I righted one back in 1992/93, I was about 160lbs with no bag. I pointed the nose into the wind, not easy in the gulf of Mexico! Then pulled the Jib Up top and cleated it in. Then grabbed the righting ropes and started leaning out. I had never flipped an H16 before. Wind got under the Jib, started lifting the. Got under the Main and up she came. Not gonna tell you I was not scared out of my mind! There were no other Cats out, by the time I got it righted someone on the beach had rigged their sails and were coming to help.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

sxrracer wrote:
Then pulled the Jib Up top and cleated it in. Wind got under the Jib, started lifting...

I have flipped my older 72 a couple of times, last time was a gust of wind right after a tack which caught me offguard and the older jib cleats release downwards so my sister wasn't able to release the jib. With her weighing around 105 lbs and me at 130 lbs we have a hard time unflipping it but that trick with the jib seems like a good help.

http://vimeo.com/40938633