Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have what appears to be a V1 Mirage Drive that has a loose front sprocket guard. It looks like the guard was glued onto the stainless steel shaft and had just come off. My inclination is to use 2 part epoxy or Marine 5200 Sealant to glue it back on. I've contacted Hobie on their web based contact form for advice, but meanwhile has anyone else had this problem? Googling around showed a couple people who claimed this was a "common" problem.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My v1 drives have had loose guards for years. I have not tried to glue them yet and everything still operates fine. Should I even be concerned?

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:13 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Front sprocket guards are screwed on. They should only be loose if the screws are missing or not engaged. On the other hand, if not fastened, they tend to stay in place anyway. If they fall off this will not affect the normal operation of the Drive. They are mainly there for sprocket protection.

Rear sprocket guards fit loosely and are designed to pivot with the fin's clew outhaul. Their presence is required and their function is critical. 8)

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner, we have different versions of sprocket guards. Mine are glued on, no screws. Hobie came back and told me that it won't affect performance if they are just loose, however I can glue it back on if I wanted to. I used marine 5200 to glue it back on.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

the old sprocket guards look like this (here's a picture from another thread of one that had an issue)

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8285&start=15

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I would just order a new one. They cost $3.19 each.

https://www.austinkayak.com/products/3141/Hobie-Mirage-Drive-Sprocket-Guard.html

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's not going to work - you can't use a current style sprocket guard on an old stainless sprocket - you would need to order the old style (#81420001) - but not sure you need to buy anything - you asked about re-gluing your current guard. Just use it as is - there's nothing wrong with it being lose - or glue it back down.