Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,

So took my H16 out on the lake for the first time this season and it was a below average sail, couple errors on my part.

First, just to make sure, the jib halyard shackles to the mast tang with the rest of the forestay and shroud wires? If not, where?

Second, the reeving on my 6:1 mainsheet block system was completely screwed up. Had to move the boom by hand to sheet out. Lines seemed like they were rubbing creating friction and not allowing free movement. I think it's a 6:1 system, it has 2 blocks with 3 pulleys each and then a separate ratchet block with a cleat that I routed the end of the lower block through. I followed the diagram on the hobie manual pretty closely but this morning I read that the two blocks should be 90 degrees opposed? I don't think I did that....or know how to do that.

Also, I shackled the block system to the top of the traveler fairlead. I have a feeling that's a bad idea (light winds usually in lake I'm in) but had connection problems with the normal point. (Quick release setup on boat vs clevis pin attachment on block)

Do most people route their mainsheet through the traveler as well or use 2 separate lines?

Third problem was with the hiking stick I attached to the rudder cross bar. Every time I tacked the hiking stick had to be flipped around the stern of the boat because the block setup was in the way.
Should I even use a hiking stick if I'm single handing the boat with no trap wires?
Should the mainsheet blocks be behind the rudder crossbar to prevent this? If not, what should I do next time to avoid this?

Thanks for all the help. It's a big adjustment rigging this boat up instead of just walking onto the beach and renting them all set up like I used to do.

-LP

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

1 - yes, you can find the assembly manual by clicking on Support on the top of this page to get more details on page 8.

2 - Page 16 of the assembly manual

3 - you were doing it right. If you don't trapeze, you can use the crossbar to steer, but I prefer the tiller. When I tack, I just throw mine in the water behind the boat and use the crossbar to steer while tacking and crossing to the other side, then I pick it up.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the tips.

One more issue. I couldn't get the sail to go up the last 1 foot. It might have been because I was trying to raise the halyard from the port hull, pulling at a slight angle because I already had the boat in the water. I hope that was the issue at least. Anyone have any tips for making sure the sail is completely up? Do you do raise it on land before you launch or on the water?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I raise on land. I've had issues raising it if the outhaul is tight or if the track is dirty on the mast. I don't have a comptip, so I have an old style halyard with 2 slugs, sometimes one gets caught on the way up.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Make sure your main sail battens are not to tight, and yes raise on land directly into the wind, try rubbing the bolt rope with some wax.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, fling that tiller into the water, pull the jib through and roll under the boom. ya gotta love it. Also a newbie mistake is too turn to sharply. Carve the turns and start out with hardly any deflection in the rudders and then increase as you slow down and the bows get into the wind. The whole process really is a learned skill. It's a lot different than in a keel boat, just pushing the tiller over and yelling,"helms a lee".
You are asking the right questions of the right people, so you are right on track. Keep sailing. It only gets better.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

When I was starting out, I watched many youtube videos to figure out what I should be doing.
The following are a couple of my favorites -

A good 12 minute lesson -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=PFliNR3wW_w

A good example of H16 sailors who know what they are doing -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80jOFQ1kVfs

2008 Hobie 16 (currently sailing the crap out of this boat)
1977 Super Sunfish
Founding member of the "San Dimas Yacht Club"
John

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

To raise the Main Sail, every once in a while, I spray the edge of the Sail with Sylicone Spray. It works magically, the Sail just "flies" along the mast. The good thing about it is that it does not stain the sail too much. Also I help the raising of the Sail by lifting the Boom so you don`t pull its weight when you pull the sail with the rope.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you have the main sheet blocks installed before you raise the sail, make sure there is enough slack pulled out between the blocks. I have had the problem you describe when the sheet was pulled in too much. The sail wouldn't go up all the way.