Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: re: kayak carts
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently purchased a Rolleeze kayak/canoe cart with pneumatic rubber tires. On hard ground, road, gravel - this cart performs flawlessly. Can also be used with a variety of boats, canoes & kayaks. Self righting kick stand is really a helpful touch loading the boat on centre.

The problem occurs with soft sand. The cart completely bogs down and is useless. I am forced to take the kayak off the cart and drag all 80 lbs of it (loaded) to the water's edge. Unable to upgrade to larger "balloon" tires - as I discovered by emailing their product support. The axle on the cart is not long enough.

Because I have a hundred feet of beach embankment (extremely soft wand) I am looking at getting the scupper Hobie Trax with the fat balloon tires to get over the soft beach. I don't know how the fat bolloon tires will fare on hard road surfaces, however. It just might mean 2 different carts serving two differing surface conditions? Anyone have any opinions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Try letting most of the air out of your tires for very soft sand. Leave about 5-10lbs. of air in them.
This is what we do with our vehicles in the "moon dust" of Baja. A bicycle pump gets us rolling on the pavement.

Post subject: kart fix?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
Try letting most of the air out of your tires for very soft sand. Leave about 5-10lbs. of air in them.
This is what we do with our vehicles in the "moon dust" of Baja. A bicycle pump gets us rolling on the pavement.

Brilliant, Ronbo - will definitely try this idea. Sure beats buying 2 separate carts... Thanks for the tip.