Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lessons Please
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello - New to the site. New to sailing. I am looking for someone who can give a friend and I some basic lessions on a hobie 16. I have the boat. Not looking into racing or anything like that, just want to feel comfortable with my ability to navigate and get back to shore :) I am located in Greenville, SC. If you know of any good leads please let me know. I have a trailer and am willing to travel within a couple of hours or to the SC/NC coast.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Lessons Please
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey richelle.
Welcome to the world of hobie cats.... you're in for a ride! I'm up in Wilm NC; lucky to have the big pond to the east for some awesome sailing. Here's a website address to the hobie dealer in Myrtle Beach (not sure how far from Greenville that is).
Sail and Ski Connection, Myrtle Beach. sailandskiconnection.com
They are excellent, great help, and you can find out from them if they offer sailing lessons. Think I saw a hobie sailing school on their home page.
You may also consider finding a more local sailing club if there are lakes around you; they typically offer those kinds of lessons, or could be a valuable resource. Best advice? Get the basics from some lessons and then get out there! Sail your boat! There will be a learning curve, heck I'm still learning after 5 years, but it is so worth it.
This forum is also a great resource for help; use it. Good luck!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't be afraid of the "R" word! (racing)

It is a lot of fun and probably not exactly what you have in mind when you think of racing.

Hanging out with 'racers' IMO is one of the best ways to learn how to handle your boat to have the most fun just out goofing off. When most people think of "racing" they tend to imagine something like autoracing compared to just driving around the block... Meaning you are pushing the car harder than you normally would be.. experiencing higher risk.. On a Hobie.. Come on.. It just isn't the same.. and most people are trying to make the boat go as fast as possible whether they are racing or not... Don't fear the 'race' course.. It simply gives purpose and direction.

Hopefully a member of a fleet local to you will chime in and setup you up with an experienced sailor.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi richelle,

New here to the site too and to Hobies. We're getting the '85 H16 ready for sailing and will be on a learning curve as well. We'll probably first be in Lake Wylie or Lake Norman (notice I said "in" not "on"). Hilton Head most likely; Wilmington and OBX are further possibilities.

You might want to also post in this thread about Lake Hartwell which is close to you viewtopic.php?f=19&t=35445

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

OP;
Have you rigged your boat yet for practice? If not I would start there and get comfortable with where everything goes.
Then I would just go for it. I did. After watching some online videos I solo'ed with a jib in very light winds my first time and had no problems. Before that I had only sailed once on a sunfish or laser?...
Just keep close to shore, maybe have someone else come with you. You will be suprised how fast it will "come" to you. I am still very much learning and have only been out three times on my boat but I am ready to flip it every time I go out!!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all the suggestions and leads! I have checked out the lake hartwell thread and hopefully I will be able to connect with some fellow hobies through there.

Richelle