Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

I just bought an old Hobie 18 in in Singapore. I think its a 1981 model based on registration documents. I will confirm this using the serial number next time I see it. Meanwhile, I have a quick question which I'm hoping someone here might be able to help.

At the time of the original registration here with the maritime authority, this Hobie 18 was licensed to carry 2 people. I know it can actually carry more and Hobie web site has many pictures with more people on smaller cats. I will ask this to be revised so that I can "legally" sail with my family of 2 adults & 2 kids.

I would like to get a copy or reference of the manufacturers specifications for the product before I face the inspector from the maritime authority though. Since Hobie 18 is not a current product I could not find this on the Hobie web-site.

Can anyone kindly point me in the right direction? What is the official weight bearing specification from the manufacturer for a Hobie 18? how many people or kilos / lbs should be allowed to carry? Is there a link you can provide which I can print and provide to the inspector?

Thank you so much for all your help. Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ok i am not an expert at all on tis subject. but i can tell you that i have had three adults on my h18. with a total weight of over 700 lbs in some pretty goodd wind and have had no problems.i know an average family of two adults and two kids would not exceed the weight limit. i know this is not anything official maybe matt miller could chime in on this subject.
paul

1981 Hobie 18 "Knot A Clew" sail #5445

Post subject: Weight
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:57 am 
Site Admin

There is no official weight capacity of a Hobie 18. This is not a requirement in the USA.

Perhaps Hobie Cat France has official specifications you could rely on for your purpose? www.hobie-cat.com

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the information. I am suprised to hear this. Was there no safety assesment done at all to certify the product safety limits? I am suprised becase someone could try to sail with too many people and then sue HobieCat when a tragedy occurs. I would have thought there would be some solid testing and disclaimers in placegiven the litiguous world that we live in these days... Anyways. Not to worry. I don't think this Hobie 18 will need any efforts for re-certification. I sailed it for the first time this past Saturday and had a bow snap off. I think its too old and tired. Probably one for the junkyard. Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bow snap off! What did you do hit a container ship? As for the weight ratings, I thought that the U.S. set ratings on any and all watercraft, however there are no coastguard tags on our 16s and 18s, maybe this is due to lack of a motor mount bracket?
harvey :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

No container ships. Delamination at its worst it appears. Starboard hull split right under the cross-bar joinining point. It was a scary moment as the mast started to come down on me and my daughter who was on the trapeze wire at the time. Fortunately no one hurt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Holy @#$& , thank the gods you and yours are OK,
Harvey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks. its ironic because this was the first time I was sailing this boat after buying it. Talk about buying a lemon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well what ever you do don't give up on those old hobie 18s, sounds like the past owners have not treated this one very well. I have restored several older hobies, and if done on a sound craft that was taken care of, but just a little tired you can really have a good deal. My current 18 is a 1979 it took quite a bit of labor and not to say a bit of cash to, but in the end I have a real gem.
stay with bud.
Harvey :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

did it look something like this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looked something like this : http://www.putfile.com/kkirk - Hope this link works

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Clearly a hull failure like that happens on the water. What are the conditions for that to happen, besides not having anchor plates installed?

How does one recover from such a catastrophe?

I assume the boat will sink on the damaged side, but how long will the undamaged side float?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The broken Hobie 18 hull will not sink :D . There is a block of foam just aft of the daggerboard trunk.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It happened very quickly. We were on a sb tack close reach flying the sb hull about a feet off the water. My daughter (10 yrs old) was on the trapeze trying to learn how to do it and my sailing instructor was helming the cat. I was in between the two on the sb hull.

You see, this was my checkout & certtification day for multi-hulls. Where I live you need to be certified before you can sail. Anyways, it was a moderate to strong wind day (I am guessing about 15 knots at the time) with waves about 3 feet or so.

We were nicely cutting accross the waves when suddenly the sb hull broke with a loud crack. We came to an almost instant stop and the sb/hull started going under rapidly with us on it. Complicating factor was that the mast started falling towards us and my daughter was on the trapeze. It was one scary moment.

I unclipped my daughter's trapeze hook and pushed her upwards to the good hull. I then climbed up myself and checked to see that my instructor was ok too.

We sat on the port hull as if we were riding a horse for a while. The s/b hull was fully immersed but the broken bow part was floating while still attached to the bow bridle. The mast was floating thanks the the buoyancy offered by the sail + the mast float I happened to mount just that day! Talk about good timing!!! Anyways, the boat slowly stabilized itself the the sb hull eventually rose to the surface so we were able to sit properly on the port hull.

The rest was a long wait until we managed to catch the attention of a passer by who radioed my sailing club which despatched a rescue boat. We slowly towed the whole mess back home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

With the mast coming down, and your daughter on the trapeze off the s/b hull, did she land in the water, or were you able to bring her in before that occurred?