Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outback Sailing
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just purchased a Hobie sail for my 2011 outback. While setting it all up in the garage I noticed that when the sailing rudder is in the "stowed" position, it covers the rear pad-eye/block where the sailing rope is supposed to go through.

I am worried that this may get in the way while docking, unforseen circumstances on the water when you need to pull the rudder up, etc, etc.

Any one have similar experience? I am not sure if the rear pad eye is covered on the Revo as well?

Thank you
VABeach1

Post subject: Re: Outback Sailing
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

VaBeach1 wrote:
Just purchased a Hobie sail for my 2011 outback. While setting it all up in the garage I noticed that when the sailing rudder is in the "stowed" position, it covers the rear pad-eye/block where the sailing rope is supposed to go through.

I am worried that this may get in the way while docking, unforseen circumstances on the water when you need to pull the rudder up, etc, etc.

Any one have similar experience? I am not sure if the rear pad eye is covered on the Revo as well?

Thank you
VABeach1

I have an 07 outback, so I don't have this problem (old rudder). But, I think its an either or sort of thing. You're not going to be able to sail when the rudder is up, at least not very well :)

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ofcourse the rudder would be down for sailing: The primary issue I see is rigging up the rear block while on the water- not possible.

When launching or docking I would need to lift (stow) the rudder up/thus interfeering with the rope/padeye/block.

Does anyone here have the same issue or placed a padeye closer in?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey, I was watching this video about a sail mod and he has a padeye closer in, I think he replaced a lashing point or something with one of the padeye kits. (my boat doesn't have it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_stDzQJ ... ion_293026

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congratulations on your sail purchase! IMHO one of the best and most enjoyable features of these kayaks is their sailing potential and I hope sailing yours will provide you with as much enjoyment as I (and others!) have had.

There are many threads on this forum about the best way to rig, carry & .
deploy your sail - I strongly recommend you do some research here because there is valuable advice in these about the best approach for would-be Hobie kayak sailors!

The basic rule of thumb is to rig the sail on land before you set off and carry the sail rolled up on the gunwale of your boat until such time as you want to sail.

It is difficult to reach the rear padeye to rig the sail when you are out on the water but it is not difficult to fix a bungee loop forward and a bungee&cliphook strap aft to secure the rolled sail (mast foot forwards) and deploy it from the cockpit IF the sheet is already led through the rear padeye (or preferably a block attached to the rear padeye).

It is possible for the stowed rudder blade to catch on the sheet at the rear padeye. This does not generally cause a tangle because it is only really the tip of the rudder and because the rudder has to be down to sail. Some people do install a second padeye further forward of the standard padeye for sailing but this is usually done with the intention of improving sail shape rather than to prevent the sheet and the rudder from interfering with one another.

Hope this helps!