Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

NOHONU, I believe this was your design that I basically copied. I used teak. It is held together with stainless steel screws and Gorilla Glue (mostly screws).

I'm making one for the other side.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very sharp kevin. I was dreaming about teak myself. You should get a lot of use and comfort out of that 4 slat model.

I see you went with the closed end design, which will not snag the sheets, fishing lines, or bikini tops.

Well done.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow, this thread has grown. Liking all the variations.
I need to make room for my daughter (5yrs) now on the AI. I don't really like the rear facing option as want to be able to see her so considering the bench seat.

Despite all the posts I can't find anyone who has used the bench for a child passenger. I have a spare seat so can rig it up but would like to see a photgraph of this setup (with passenger). Want to see how comfortable / uncomfortable the setup will be before building. I imagine adding a foot rest 1/2 way down the bench.

If I can't seat her comfortably I fear the AI is going to be little used and I will be forced to paddling a double siton bath tub (hobie options are not a consideration says my bank manager!!).

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It will work, but tramps are better for kids her age cuz they zone out and like to sleep. As this video so eloquently shows:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUdhbfrLYv8&feature=player_detailpage[/youtube]

What you could do is have the Hakas close to the gunwale, where she can sit just beside you, with or without a seat. Her feet can stay in the boat if it makes you both feel better. It would be childs play to add a short grab rail along the outside edge of the benches. She would like that - and would not roll out. Sections of a black foam mat (like those you use in the gyms) will keep her warm and comfy.

But you could also put her in the main seat (or the stern) and enjoy the ride from the Hakas yourself. You'll sail better like this and can maintain eye contact.

Enjoy it while you can. You'll need to drag the boyfriends along pretty soon,.. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Out today early wind at 23mph seas at 2 ft. tiller extension broke the wire tie again. I have tried bungees and wire ties both would need to be bigger then the size hole I am willing to put in the paddle handle. So back by noon and worked on this solution. 1-1/4 inch elbow sch 40 PVC, 1-1/4 to 1 in threaded reducer, 1 in to ¾ in threaded fitting, one large quick pin.

Here I am steering with my feet on the way back in after the storm front went through.
Will test this out tomorrow and if it works will paint it black to match the handle.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yet another seating alternative!
First job with my new TI was to redesign my seating, as there just wasn't enough legroom for the Miragedrive, even setting the pedals as far forward as possible. So I bit the bullet and went the whole hog, and my skipper seat is about 6 inches higher and 4 inches further back.
Due to my heft, I have been careful to ensure that my weight is spread carefully. While ostensibly the plate rests on the side rails, a triangulated frame evenly carries any weight from deformation of the plate to the sloping area behind the forward hatch. As I have no plans to use the TI without amas, and will be adding hakas, I am not concerned about potentially reduced stability due to sitting higher. (Nylon zip-ties will secure the seat to the Ti)
So here is my new "throne"

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
Yet another seating alternative!
First job with my new TI was to redesign my seating, as there just wasn't enough legroom for the Miragedrive, even setting the pedals as far forward as possible. So I bit the bullet and went the whole hog, and my skipper seat is about 6 inches higher and 4 inches further back.
Due to my heft, I have been careful to ensure that my weight is spread carefully. While ostensibly the plate rests on the side rails, a triangulated frame evenly carries any weight from deformation of the plate to the sloping area behind the forward hatch. As I have no plans to use the TI without amas, and will be adding hakas, I am not concerned about potentially reduced stability due to sitting higher. (Nylon zip-ties will secure the seat to the Ti)
So here is my new "throne"

Looks good, watch your head when you tack or gybe!

J

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

kayakman7 wrote:
Looks good, watch your head when you tack or gybe
I've found that less of a problem than I feared when sitting up above the gunwales on the Quarterdeck. Because there's no boom, it's easy to duck slightly and guide the sail over your head as it comes across. I did find it better to wear one of these, rather than a straw hat - doesn't snag.
It's well worth it, to keep your butt from marinating in salt water. Well done Tony!

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Tony. Great post. Doesn't swivel does it?

That's going to make your hiking back and forth so much easier. Hope we'll see some pict of her on the water.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks NOHUHU, I had been considering adding a swivel, and even though this will reduce legroom by an inch or two, and add another inch to the height, I might as well see what its like. I can always dump the swivel and revert to how it is in the photos. A swivel would sure make fishing more comfy!

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Top design Tony. Well executed.

One of you blokes needs to start up the '2012 AI / TI Invention Competition'.
I'd do it but I'm already monitoring the '2012 Photographic Competition' which takes up all my spare time :roll:

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just out of interest, Josh and Carl over at Yakass have been using skipper seats on their AI's for a few months:
http://yakass.net/articles/reviews/735- ... eat-review
http://yakass.net/articles/equipment/68 ... gskipperai

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just for NOHUHU :)

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The whole thing "hinges" on three nylon zip-ties connected to the crossbar. I will keep my safety box under the seat

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:25 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Late to the party. For haka planks

Try Brock Docks at:

http://www.dhdocks.com/index.php/types- ... rock-vinyl

I've had them on my lanai for 18 years and they haven't faded or cracked yet.

Aloha

Dan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 88  Next