Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a new-to-me 2007 Getaway with wings, and when I got it home the other day, I noticed that I couldn't put the rear locking pin in place on the port wing.

On the struts, there are a couple of sets of holes. There is the horizontal set of holes, through which the bolt that holds the lockpin cable is fastened. Then there are the two sets of vertical holes through which the lockpin is inserted, in order to lock the wings open or closed.

I cannot lock the port wing in the open position. Here's why:

When the wing is closed, the vertical holes on both the inner and outer strut bars line up (on both the front and rear struts and I can push the lockpin through both).

When the wing is open, the holes on the rear strut do not line up, and there is no way to push the lockpin through. After staring at them all for awhile, I realized that the holes on the rear outer strut (the one that attaches to the boat's rear crossbar) have been drilled in the wrong place. I took the whole strut apart to investigate, and can confirm this is the case.

Here is the front port strut, showing the bolt holes (horizontal) and the lockpin holes (vertical). You can see that the bolt is physically above the lockpin (ie. the lockpin hole is closer to the trampoloine). This is consistent with all three of the other struts (on the starboard wings).

Here's a picture:

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/78800380@N ... 0/sizes/m/

However, on the rear port strut, you can see that the bolt is physically below the lockpin hole (i.e the lockpin hole is closer to the wing seat). you can see this here:

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/78800380@N ... 2/sizes/m/

When I took the rear strut apart, I confirmed that the holes exist, it's just that they were drilled in the wrong place. They were drilled above the bolt hole, instead of below.

To me, this seems to be a defect in the manufacturing process of the lower outer strut bar, on the port side rear strut. I am concerned that this might be a safety issue, as I cannot lock the wing in the open position.

Has anyone ever seen this before, and are there any thoughts on how I can resolve this? I'm hesitant to drill new holes into the bar, as I don't want to compromise its structural integrity.

thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Locking the wings will be effected by the boat not being level - and you sometimes need to either push down on the wing or lift up slightly to insert locking pins... depending on how the boat is resting. It is not uncommon to need to muscle the wing a bit to get the holes to align - doesn't sound like there's anything unique here. the other thing also is the mounting brackets that attach the large tubes to the outer casting of the cross bars - these can be loosened to re-align the wings...just look over everything - these arms all get drilled in a jig fixture and we get no complaints about the wings normally - but I can see how something might be setup wrong - should be repairable though.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Jacques

Good points all around, and I thought of those too. Problem is that the strut hits the internal stops about 3/4 of an inch before the holes line up.

That one rear strut is different from the other three struts, in that the lockpin holes are drilled in a different position.

Loosening the attachment bolts does not create nearly enough play to allow the struts to extend to the point where the holes line up.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry then - I don't know... it's an easy part to have replaced - just contact a dealer... if you don't want to just drill another hole. The pin to lock them out is not something that will keep you from sailing - if it has 1 pin (or no pins) it will still function... the pin locking it in the 'up' position is much more important for trailering. (keeping the getaway from being too wide while driving it on a trailer)

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just take the one you know is correct from the other side and re-drill the holes on the incorrect ones to match the correct ones. Doesn't really matter that you have two sets of holes. You could use a small piece of 1/16" automotive pin stripping so you know how far out to pull the seat so they are in the right set on holes. -- Just my thoughts.