Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hey gang!

I bought my first hobie kayak about a month ago. I Love the mirage drive but something has gone awry. I was out peddling today and giving it a pretty spirited go, and the mirage drive pegs popped out from under the cams. I reseated the drive, clamped it down with the cams and continued on, but after a few minutes of normal peddaling the drive poped out again. i replaced, clamped down as tight as possible and tried again but this time the popped right out within a couple of peddels. I removed the drive and it looks like the plastic notches in the drive well that the side pegs fit into have been "mushed" by the force of the pegs and no longer hold the drive securely.

is it possible to fix this or is this a replacement issue? the Kayak has only been used about 9 or 10 times and I bought it new. the kayak is not able to be peddled and must be paddled at the moment.

Thank you,

Lew

Post subject: Slipped?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:32 pm 
Site Admin

That is an odd one... Which model?

Perhaps there is a failure inside the hull and the knobs are flexing under load? Take a look inside. There is a column of plastic that the bolts thread into. If the column is sheared, that may allow the knob to flex and release the drum shaft. If not, maybe the earlier slippage made a ramp up the front of the shaft recess? A little re-shaping of the recess should allow the shaft to sit back down under the knobs. If you cannot get that done, a little plastic welding in front (a little wedge) could be added in front of the shaft. Each issue may be warrant-able, but to get use of the hull while waiting, I would try to fix.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

matt

this was on an adventure.
i took a look under the "hood" and saw that the colum of plastic that the bolts thread into and it indeed was cracked...on both sides, and bowed greatly.

took the yak to the dealer and they gave me a new one from their stock. different color, but, i didnt want to be yakless for 2 weeks. im happy with the result.

thanks!