Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2007 Mirage Adventure. The plastic threads within the cam column have stripped out on one side and when pressure is applied to the pedals the stainless allen head bolt pops up and the cam lock pops out of place. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have seen some posts that suggest the use of epoxy or varying forms for external repairs to the cam column but am concerned about internal use. Would drilling a hole through the cam column and using a tee nut on the bottom of the boat work? Looking for options here... Thanks, Ken

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There were two lengths of cam bolt - the initial design had short ones - later on these were changed for longer ones. If you have the short ones perhaps swapping them for the longer ones could be a solution?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:12 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The '07s already use the longer cam bolt.

Put a small amount of epoxy in the hole, screw the cam bolt in and adjust the height before the epoxy sets up. Make sure no epoxy gets on the cam lock knob. If it does, simply spin the knob every few minutes until the epoxy sets up so it will not bind the knob. That should do it. Although epoxy doesn't stick well to Polyethylene, it should give you enough "bite" to stabilize the bolt. Use a good marine epoxy.

The cam columns carry a lot of stress and are a weak link in the system -- drilling a hole would would be detrimental. Similarly, although Hobie makes a helicoil insert, I would not recommend it -- it adds additional stress to the cam column. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A million years late and a continent away. My very old adventure finally gave up the cam bolt. What type of epoxy did you use?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:00 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Harrybarn wrote:
My very old adventure finally gave up the cam bolt. What type of epoxy did you use?
For that I tried whatever was on hand -- maybe JBWeld. It seemed to do the job. It's important to clean and blow dry the inside of the cam columns first. You don't need a lot of epoxy because there isn't much empty space -- drop a little in the columns and screw in the bolts. Watch out for any surplus epoxy oozing out the top and freezing the cams. If so, just rotate the cams every half hour or so while the epoxy sets up so it fails to bond to the cams. The nice thing about the epoxy is, if you ever have to remove the bolts in the future, I think you could without hurting anything. Once set, I never had to move or adjust anything and it held with no issues. If you need to get some epoxy, I like the Loctite Marine Epoxy -- doesn't seem to break down over time. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner wrote:
Harrybarn wrote:
My very old adventure finally gave up the cam bolt. What type of epoxy did you use?
For that I tried whatever was on hand -- maybe JBWeld. It seemed to do the job. It's important to clean and blow dry the inside of the cam columns first. You don't need a lot of epoxy because there isn't much empty space -- drop a little in the columns and screw in the bolts. Watch out for any surplus epoxy oozing out the top and freezing the cams. If so, just rotate the cams every half hour or so while the epoxy sets up so it fails to bond to the cams. The nice thing about the epoxy is, if you ever have to remove the bolts in the future, I think you could without hurting anything. Once set, I never had to move or adjust anything and it held with no issues. If you need to get some epoxy, I like the Loctite Marine Epoxy -- doesn't seem to break down over time. 8)

Thanks mate. I will give it a crack. Hopefully there is a bit of life in the old girl yet.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello I have a Old Mirage ( Tandem ) Oasis 2007 I need to know if I can change the robber Blade for 1 more bigger like the new models .. thanks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:26 am 
Site Admin

If you have a model that has the twist and stow rudder system... you can add a larger blade. The original rudder system does not have a larger blade option.

Twist and stow rudders came out in 2007, so maybe?

When you raise the rudder, does it flip up and lay flat of the aft deck?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)