Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ecduzitgood wrote:
Very interesting news and thanks for posting the FF mounted to the cutting board, I have yet to take mine out from storage and was thinking about mounting a compass there but couldn't remember how much clearance I would have. I am thinking of mounting a compass there and making a cover/box to mount the cutting board to so when I want to see the compass I will remove the cutting board. Still toying with the location for a compass and I will have to check the handles on the storage bucket to see if they are ferrous which might affect the accuracy of the compass. Looks like a nice week to start getting mine ready to go; I still have to decide on the transducer arm and will probably get a Liberator due to side imaging requiring outside of the hull mount. What does the seat slide do for you?

It allows a lot of flexibility for adjusting your leg stroke on the pedals without having to adjust the Mirage drive itself. I find the extra 2 inches in height more comfortable for me when peddling. The lid for the tackle storage has plenty of clearance from the front of the seat as well.

It also gives you easier access under the seat if you want to put anything there. There is another thread on the PA forum regarding the benefits of the additional seat mount.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I like that Liberator idea, but for the HDS and LSS I need to mount 2 transducers, ideally less than a foot apart from each other. As I understand, the LSS (sidescan) transducer should be a tad lower than the HDS. I'm thinking of making a cutting board thing-a-ma-jiggy to mount both units on... haven't decided yet - there is a Kayak show this weekend in Somerset NJ (Paddlesport) that I hope to get ideas from.. here is a URL which shows an HDS/LSS install on the back of a boat.. of course, with the AI this is not an option.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmR500kN ... re=related

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a humminbird 597CI HD DI on a transducer arm i kept from when i had my Commander...
mounted the head unit on a ram mount so i can adjust as needed.wound up moving it to that ball on the edge of the side board .

I debated hard, and have the thru hull kit, but decided to try the easy route with the arm first and have been satisfied with the results..and no interferrence from the mirage drive or anything. battery mounted in front of the sail mast slot.

ex 2012 Hobie Tandem Island
ex 2011 Hobie Pro Angler
ex 2011 Hobie Adventure Island
ex 2010 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thrashie,

That setup looks just fine. I wouldn't change a thing. My goal was to limit the amount of items I had bolted on those front mounting boards.

The great thing about this forum is that we can show other PA owners and future PA owners multiple variations and that can help them decide which way to go. The more folks can post pictures of their PAs, the more ideas get out.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I may have your answer. A guy I know here in Alabama named Scap Cicero developed a small piece of metal that has saved me a fortune over the years in transducers. Type in transducer saver in any search engine and you will find his product. Feel free to mount that awesome new sonar anyway you wish and get everything you pay for. Put it on and forget it!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

bassmonster34 wrote:
I may have your answer. A guy I know here in Alabama named Scap Cicero developed a small piece of metal that has saved me a fortune over the years in transducers. Type in transducer saver in any search engine and you will find his product. Feel free to mount that awesome new sonar anyway you wish and get everything you pay for. Put it on and forget it!!

:?: confused

ex 2011 Hobie Pro Angler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

GUYS WAIT!!!!! There is a new 360 degree side/down imaging set up coming out from Humminbird very soon, that's why your finding deals on the old models.
If someone already posted this, sorry, I didn't read the preceding posts.

tightlines
Steve

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thrashie wrote:
I have a humminbird 597CI HD DI on a transducer arm i kept from when i had my Commander...
mounted the head unit on a ram mount so i can adjust as needed.wound up moving it to that ball on the edge of the side board .

I debated hard, and have the thru hull kit, but decided to try the easy route with the arm first and have been satisfied with the results..and no interferrence from the mirage drive or anything. battery mounted in front of the sail mast slot.

Hey Thrashie,

Can you show how you attached the Humminbird transducer to the deployment arm? I just picked up a 385ci DI and will be mounting the unit on a Liberator Mini platform/deployment arm and am really interested in how folks attach their transducers to these kind of rigs. Thanks!

TDK

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SteveK wrote:
GUYS WAIT!!!!! There is a new 360 degree side/down imaging set up coming out from Humminbird very soon, that's why your finding deals on the old models.

tightlines
Steve

It's cool looking, but its a monster to hang off the back of your kayak, and it's $2000 + the cost of a fish finder that supports it.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bubbleboy wrote:
SteveK wrote:

tightlines
Steve

It's cool looking, but its a monster to hang off the back of your kayak, and it's $2000 + the cost of a fish finder that supports it.

+1

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

TDK wrote:

Hey Thrashie,

Can you show how you attached the Humminbird transducer to the deployment arm? I just picked up a 385ci DI and will be mounting the unit on a Liberator Mini platform/deployment arm and am really interested in how folks attach their transducers to these kind of rigs. Thanks!

TDK

i'll get a pic, but just used a stainless bolt and nut....done.

ex 2011 Hobie Pro Angler

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

*Update on the transducer*

After trying several options, and reading many articles online, I decided to go ahead and try to mount the transducer inside my PA and shoot it through the hull.

My results were great! I can't tell that I lost any of the picture quality at all, after I had the transducer mounted on a suction cup mount for a couple of weeks. I used foam insulation strips and made a "case" around the transducer, filled the case with marine goop, and pushed the transducer firmly into place.

It worked great, and I don't have to worry about the transducer anymore. I think the plastic of my PA makes no difference to the signal quality at all. The DSI Lowrance unit seems to be working just fine with this setup.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Xi Bowhunter wrote:
*Update on the transducer*

After trying several options, and reading many articles online, I decided to go ahead and try to mount the transducer inside my PA and shoot it through the hull.

My results were great! I can't tell that I lost any of the picture quality at all, after I had the transducer mounted on a suction cup mount for a couple of weeks. I used foam insulation strips and made a "case" around the transducer, filled the case with marine goop, and pushed the transducer firmly into place.

It worked great, and I don't have to worry about the transducer anymore. I think the plastic of my PA makes no difference to the signal quality at all. The DSI Lowrance unit seems to be working just fine with this setup.

That's great! Glad to hear your shoout-thru-hull instalation is giving great results. I've had my Humminbird 385ci DI out in saltwater recently versus my shallow freshwater lake and the results have been very good. The accessory temperature probe works perfect hanging in the scupper hole.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I did the same thru hull and the only difference I see is temp and actuall depth. One the hull sets a few inches below the water( I think you can adjust that in the head unit) and the temp because if the temp of the PA in the water. Olive and in Texas( drought or flood/ Freezing or 100+) but the DI works great. I like the duoble screen w/ DI and switch fire. Cant wait to use the navionics so I can actually see the lakes I am in and the coast. I have a 587ci HD DI. its supposed to have been pre rigged but I dont see it. Anyone know something to possibly help? :shock:

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use these on my bass boats for the trolling motor. For the structure scan and regular skimmer. I'm sure they make something that will work.

http://www.transducershieldandsaver.com ... egory_id=5

Check out there wedges, you could epoxy that on the back to get it parallel to the water and use there protector.