Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey guys. New hobie owner here. We are going to Destin next week and planning to bring our new to us hobie for a little fun in the bay. Living on the TN river, we don't get the best winds, so I am looking forward to it.

Our plan is to take the boat to Oakaloosa Island and put in on the bay side there at the park. Then sail around there and be able to come back past the car for lunch and refreshment refills.

Anyone here have any words of advice as I haven't been on a sBoat in the bay there before. Been studying the charts to get familiar though. I know not to go near the pass and tangle with all the traffic and tidal current.

Thanks for your input!

Jason

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

While you are there you may want to also go to the "Billy Bowlegs LVII Slash and Burn" pirate festival in Ft. Walton from 5/31 - 6/3/12.

As part of the festival, there will be a great raft up in the intercoastal on Saturday 6/2.

Also sailing around the Destin Pass and Crab Island is great.

Overhead view of Crab Island and Destin Pass

Crab Island which is about 3-4 feet under water

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

Last edited by Tim H16 on Wed May 19, 2021 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

WOW that looks like the harbor scene from "Jaws"!

You're right to be aware of the tides which basically drive the current in the pass but it shouldn't deter you. If I go out of the bay (Sarasota) I try to do it while the tide is turning from falling to rising so I get the current both ways.

I'd check to see if there is a fee to launch and the clearance on those bridges.

FL requires you have the paperwork for your boat, an anchor, a throwing ring (or equivalent), rope for the above, and 1 PFD per. If you have a kicker you need a fire extinguisher. If you're out after dark you need a flashlight. You might also need (we always take) flares, dye packs, and a mirror.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jason,

One thing to keep in mind is that we only have one tide cycle per day.

NOAA has a station west of Destin, FL at Pensacola, FL and east of Destin at Panama City, FL.

These plots are easily accessible by any cellphone that can get the internet (doesn't have to be a smart phone).

Each web page has all the plots for: current and projected tides, wind speed/direction/gust speed, air pressure, water/air temperatures.

For Pensacola, FL:
https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/stationhome.html?id=8729840

For Panama City Beach, FL
https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/stationhome.html?id=8729210

87 H14T
Clearwater, FL

Last edited by Tim H16 on Wed May 19, 2021 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jason 88,

Where on the Tennessee River do you live? I will be moving to Knoxville this summer and plan to sail my H16 and 14 out of Concord Yacht Club on Loudon Lake.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Chattanooga area. On Lake Chickamauga

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Is the ramp there at the Gulf National Seashore park a good one to put in at? We ate staying down around Sandestin. How's the water/ sailing on that end of the bay. We're not too concerned with the flotilla scene. Just want a nice place to sail with accessible beach.

Thanks for the input so far guys. We are so ready to be there!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I sail a Getaway on Chicamauga infrequently. Keep it at a friends house near Decatur rest of summer. Where do you launch. What color are your sails and I will look out for you

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We put in at Chester Frost usually. Have found its not the most ideal place because of the narrow pass out of Dallas Bay the wind sucks. If I can figure out a set of beach wheels or similar, could probably roll it from the Parkin lot by the day use pavilions.

All white hobie with white sails.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jason 88 H16 wrote:
Hey guys. New hobie owner here. We are going to Destin next week and planning to bring our new to us hobie for a little fun in the bay. Living on the TN river, we don't get the best winds, so I am looking forward to it.

Our plan is to take the boat to Oakaloosa Island and put in on the bay side there at the park. Then sail around there and be able to come back past the car for lunch and refreshment refills.

Anyone here have any words of advice as I haven't been on a sBoat in the bay there before. Been studying the charts to get familiar though. I know not to go near the pass and tangle with all the traffic and tidal current.

Thanks for your input!

Jason

Did you buy it about 3 weeks ago?
$1000.00?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yep. In Colledgedale.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great to hear your coming to the Emerald coast! We sail out of the Gulf Island park (Leeside Park) almost every weekend. It's a great place to launch, if the fishermen are nice you can even angle your trailer off the ramp and drop your boat right on the beach for rigging. Gotta watch for the swimming kids but otherwise it's a great option. Keep in mind the park closes at dark.
As for Billy Bowlegs, my recomendation is to stay away from the Ft Walton beach landing area! A sailboat has no business in amongst all the drunken boaters, not that we don't have a right to be there, it's just plain dangerous, the sound is narrow and there is not much room to maneuver when all those boats are packed in there. Crab Island is a much better option.
The bay itself is an awesome place to sail with lots of beaches to land on and plenty of room for everyone. Hope to see you out there! Have fun and be safe!

1999 Hobie 20, Sail #1005
2001 Hobie 16, "Spirit of 76 sails" #18515. Sold
1981 Hobie 18, Dead!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with tmason and would not recommend sailing anywhere near the Billy Bowlegs raftup on Saturday, but if you want to take a break from sailing, there are a lot of other things like the parades, pirate ships, festival, etc. during the 4 days of Billy Bowlegs that young and older "wanna be pirates" will enjoy.

My three sons are in their 20s and they look forward to partying with us and their college friends on our power boat during the raftup on Saturday.

87 H14T
Clearwater, FL

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jason 88 H16 wrote:
Yep. In Colledgedale.

I hate you. I was talking to him also!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry man. Have you checked out the one listed in Dayton? Doesn't sound too bad, and cheaper!