Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hello:
Please visit the Hobie Class Association website to get the NOR and information on the youth event. Please contact me with any questions from the Hobie Class POV at [email protected] or 641-425-8720.

VOLUNTEERS: The following is from John Morgan, Organizer of the JO/Hobie NAC event.

We are starting a push for volunteers. This is a bit confusing, but could you push out a request for volunteers to sign up from your group– this will be done in two groups as we want to keep the safety boat volunteers separate from those doing other stuff. We are using a site that specializes in helping us manage volunteers – we can see who signs up, gets us reports and it helps prompt them by email. So if you could get people to sign up using the appropriate link – that would be great.

1. For Safety volunteers only - http://www.volunteerspot.com/login/entr ... 3459422802

2. For event volunteers http://www.volunteerspot.com/login/entr ... 4717048076

Including:

• Opening Ceremonies/parade

• Olympic Village

• Meals

• Registration

Thanks!
cw

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

From Kari Oakes, PR manager of the JO/Hobie NAC
Chris, as promised, here are the links to the FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Junior-O ... 4159878423

and the JO website:

http://www.annapolisyc.com/Default.aspx ... 6333&vnf=1

Please note that access to the JO webpage will be migrating to the Junior Program AYC page, because it works better with mobile access, but URL will not change so this link should always work.

I look forward to getting some footage for FB of Hobie awesomeness!!!

Thanks all, and have a good weekend.

Kari

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Let's see ... List of Things To Get Done Today For the JO's/NAC's

1) Beach/Launch Point ... obtained (Annapolis Sailing School)

2) Signal Boat ... obtained (WRSC)

3) Mark Boats ... obtained (3) (from RHYC) need more

4) Tent ... obtained (Fleet 54)

5) "Loaner" boats ... Jim Glanden handling

6) Youths/Juniors Registration .... ????

That's what I need next .... some "Juniors" to register ... the farther away from Annapolis you live, the more important it is for you to register early !!!

Ms Linda Ambrose, AYC Regatta Manager, checks the registrations everyday ... registration numbers and location are noticed ... believe me ...

If you have questions please call me at (610) 717-8207

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jordan Manning and Morgan Miller from Fleet 204 / Santa Cruz Yacht Club are entered in the Hobie 16 class for the Youth North Americans/ Jr. Olympics

We have booked flights and are in the process of finalizing other arrangements -
and will need to finalize on a charter boat.

Jordan and Morgan are very much looking forward to this.
I also know that Nate and Ben Brown from Division 3 have booked their flights to Annapolis

- Dwight

Hobie 20 #916 San Jose CA 2000 Alter Cup
Hobie 20 #16 San Jose CA (Jordan) 2000 Alter Cup
Hobie 18 #916 Santa Cruz CA 1989 Worlds Boat
Hobie 16 #16 San Jose CA (Jordan) 2005 Custom Main
Hobie 16 #54466 Calling Lake Alta Tequila sunrise

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dwight,

I will call "Jimmie" Glanden immediately .... he is organizing the Charter/Loaner Boats ... I see Sail #16 listed on the registration ... is that correct ??? Does Jordon have his own sails ??? or will they need a set of sails w/ the boat???

Morgan sailed w/ me (on my H18...) at the "Gunpowder" Pts Regatta several weeks ago .... she is very good !!!

I believe Mrs Brown has made arrangements w/ Mr Kenny Hilk to borrow his boat for Nate to compete in the JO's/Jr HCA-NA NAC ( I've only heard that second hand ...) ... but ... they need to get registered

With whom is "Kat" Porter sailing w/????

Can you send a copy of your travel arrangements to me ? You have my E-Mail
address. I just want to be prepared to be able to offer you help, if you need it, when you arrive in Maryland. We maybe able to even have someone meet you at the airport .... BWI???

(chant) .... 204! ... 204! ... 204! ... ??? Santa Cruz ??? ....

... me thinks you meant Fleet #240 .... cause Fleet #204 is Syracuse !!!! Yo! Tom Korz .... (MadCatter!!!!!) ... Dwight owes you a "beverage" ... HaHaHa!!!!

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes Chris - Typo Jordan and Morgan are in fleet 240 Santa Cruz

Jordan is sailing with Morgan Miller - a youth from the Santa Cruz yacht club who is also turning 16 this summer. Jordan will be bringing his own sails - Sail no. 16 - that is the same sail he will use in Sausalito and in Annapolis and 16 is his Jersey number in hockey - he will need battens. (Sail 16 for a pair of 16 year olds)

we will be flying SFO to BWI on Tuesday July 3rd. I believe Dafna, Ben, Nate and Kate are coming in Monday to BWI.

I don't know what if any arrangements Dafna has made for Ben and Nate for the Brown boys boats. Kate Porter will be crewing for Nate this year.

I will send offline more info via E-Mail.

Thanks.

- Dwight

Hobie 20 #916 San Jose CA 2000 Alter Cup
Hobie 20 #16 San Jose CA (Jordan) 2000 Alter Cup
Hobie 18 #916 Santa Cruz CA 1989 Worlds Boat
Hobie 16 #16 San Jose CA (Jordan) 2005 Custom Main
Hobie 16 #54466 Calling Lake Alta Tequila sunrise

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Dwight,

We must be talking about TWO different "Morgan Miller's" ... cause the one who sailed w/ me is from Fleet 416, Doylestown Pa and is 17yrs old. I'm sure both a great sailors !!! (...our Morgan is !!!)

As Jordan/Morgan are the FIRST Junior Team on a H16 OFFICIALLY registered ... they are first on the Charter/Loaner boat list !!!! DONE!!!!

(no sails, just a set of battons .... noted)

I'm going to ask "Rondo" that we ask one of our volunteers to take on the duty of being a "travel cooridinator" .... keep a list of when and where, out-of-town arrivials are arriving ... trying to arrange for someone to meet these teams arriving ... supply local knowledge ... and transportation if required from airports etc ...

Can I ask you to please have Mrs Brown contact me .... Boats? (as in more then one? ... that's great!!!) ... please note that I believe I live only 15-20 miles from Kenny Hilk, as does Rondo and Jimmie Glanden .... so we can provide help .... we just need to be kept informed so we can make the appropriate plans ...

(when Kenny's knee gets better guess who will be crewing for him ... "our" Morgan ... if not I want her to "crew" for me on my H18 !!!!)

Harry Murphey
Div11/HCA-NA JO Liason
cell# (610) 717-8207

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

Last edited by Harry Murphey on Mon May 28, 2012 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hello My Fellow Sailors,

Upcoming on Friday, June 15th will be held the "Down the River" Race which is sailed from Chestertown CC& YC (Chestertown Md) down the scenic Chester River as it twists and turns, to Langford Creek where RHYC (Rock Hall) is locate. This is a very low cost, low key, short "distance" race that is alot of fun and is perfect for any Junior Teams to compete in. There is very little .... extremely little powerboat traffic on the river and we have powerboats chaperoning the fleet the whole way.

Following on Sat/Sun June 16-17th at RHYC is the "Annual One-Design" Regatta. Many members of Div11 have attended this event in the past , and I hope this year too. This event uses a "Open" Class format for the "Multi's, but if we have enough boats pre-registered (ie: we need notice to do this ...) we can split out classes as requested/required if "class" is made (5 boats min). The "plan" is to use this event as a "training" regatta for Junior/Youth Teams as it is not a "Points" regatta. Camping as usual, pool as usual, LOTS of GOOD TIMES/CHEER as usual ....

Now for the BIG NEWS ...

Mr Joe Skinner, RHYC Commodore has offered the following .... any "Junior" team that is registered for the JO Festival/JR HCA-NA NAC's hosted by AYC will recieve a 50% discount on their registration fee ... (there's more ...) ... also, they will be allowed to leave their boats at RHYC for the intervening time period between the events at RHYC at !!!! NO CHARGE !!!!, and return to use the facility as "Guests of the Commodore" during this period.

( ... now I pay club dues and boat fees to recieve this privilage ... so ...)

This is FANTASTIC !!!!!!

Also, any boats being chartered/loaned for the JO's/HCA-NA NAC's can be left at RHYC and we'll arrange to tow/trailer them over to AYC/Annapolis SS on Thurs, July 5th ....

If you have any questions about this venue, please check our website, http://www.rockhallyachtclub.org ... or ask any Div11 member ...

So please come to these events, support our Junior's and support RHYC in their efforts to support small sailboat racing.

Harry Murphey
Member RHYC
Div11/HCA-NA JO Liason

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi,

I see Nate Brown and Ben Brown have registered .... as has Jordan Manning. So we have (3) Junior/Youth Teams registered for this event already ... from CALIFORNIA !!!

That's GREAT!!!!

Now we need some from New England/New York/Canada ....

And of course Div11 !!!!

Thanks

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

will it be nesscary for my Daughter (from Canada) to join U.S. sailing in order to compete

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NO !!!!!!

According to the NOR (and US Sailing) .... this event is open to all competitors ... but they must be members of the "national sailing authority" for the country that they are citizens of. (Which country's "passport" does she have ???) All US citizens must be members of US Sailing. Your daughter being a citizen of Canada must be a member of Canada's National Sailing Authority.

Think of it as "reciprocity' between the "National Sailing Authorities" .... if you are a member of yours ... then you can come and compete in our events ...

I did ask this specific question ... of Mrs Lee Parks at US Sailing.

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:53 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Canada's Member National Authority is the Canadian Yachting Association.

They don't have individual membership like US Sailing does. Instead, they get their funding from clubs, sailing schools and the Canadian government.

Technically, you'd need to belong to a club that's a member of CYA, but I doubt they'll press it that far.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

She's a member of Fleet 444.
Your welcome.
cw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks just want to make sure all loose ends are tied up before she goes.
Thanks again Chris,You are the Man.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

THANK YOU MIKE !!!!

Your inquirery/phone call to Ms Linda Ambrose was NOTICED ... and it was mentioned several times last night at the AYC's OA meeting for this event that they are expecting competitors from all over ... and from Ms Linda " Bless the Hobies ... the "Hobies" have teams already registered from California and (shortly) from Canada !!!!"

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11