Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am in the process of becoming a licensed boat captain. In order to get my license I must show the number of "days" spent as captain of a vessel. I have owned 3 Hobie Cats since 1973. I only know them now by type and sail number:
Hobie 16 sail #406 purchased used in 73
Hobie 18 sail #1395 purchased new in 78 or 79 I believe
Hobie 21 sail #042 purchased used in 06.

I need hull numbers for these boats to log the substantial days at sea I have put on them. There has to be a list for sail numbers and Hull numbers they went with yes?

Can anyone direct me to help for this problem. I have pictures of all my boats and with the sails up but no hull numbers.

Thank you! Jay

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:56 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

jplscovill wrote:
I need hull numbers for these boats to log the substantial days at sea I have put on them. There has to be a list for sail numbers and Hull numbers they went with yes?

No.

Unfortunately, there is no relation between sail numbers and hull numbers and no one has kept track of it. Hobies change sails (and sail numbers) like changing clothes.

In any event, I'm not sure USCG licensing process would consider the experience on a Hobie Cat very relevant to a OUPV (6-pack) Captain’s License.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Plus, how would they be able to validate those serial numbers you provide as authentic?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

"In any event, I'm not sure USCG licensing process would consider the experience on a Hobie Cat very relevant to a OUPV (6-pack) Captain’s License.[/quote]

They do on any documented vessel. With a Hull number I can find out from FOIA when I owned it because they document all vessels. I can claim any vessel that requires documentation. I know that my Hobie 18 had the original sail because I bought it out of the box. I also have insurance that goes back to 1985 on the boats. The insurance will prove a lot toward the day I have spent.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:33 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I think you are very confused about what constitutes a "documented vessel" in the eyes of the US Coast Guard.

"Vessel Documentation" is a national form of registration. Documentation provides conclusive evidence of nationality for international purposes, provides for unhindered commerce between the states, and admits vessels to certain restricted trades, such as coastwise trade and the fisheries.

To be eligible for documentation, a vessel must measure at least five net tons and, with the exception of certain oil spill response vessels, must be wholly owned by a citizen of the U.S.

No Hobie Cat qualifies for USCG documentation.

You might want to check out this page: http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/nvdcfaq.asp#01

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Not to split hairs. You are looking at vessel documentation, I have called the USCG, taken the courses and they have all said as long as I can document that I have the days at sea as captain of my own vessel they count. I appreciate your devil's advocate stance though.

Thank you for your time,

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I used time on Hobies and other small sailboats in combination with larger cruising sailboats to get my captains license 20 years ago. I do not remember needing the hull numbers at that time.
If you registered the boats with your state they should have some records.
From all I have read there is no correlation with sail and hull numbers.
Good luck with the license.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When I spoke with the CG yesterday and the school I attended advisor they both just wanted me to come up with some kind of documentable proof. My insurance records go back to 1985 so I am using insurance records on my Stiletto 23 from that era and 6 other boats I have had since then including the Hobie 21 to prove sea time. Thanks!