Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Is there an optimum distance I should have the bars on my rack, to minimize any distortion on the hull?

Sorry for bad sentence structure and spelling.

Thanks

While I'm at it, do you know what it should be for an adventure?

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:38 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Not sure whether you're referring to transport racks or storage racks.

For transport, my saddles are set up at a little over 6 feet apart for both the Oasis and Adventure (both right side up). With that much spread, there is no need to tie down the bow and stern. Most roof racks require a much smaller spread, but there are generally no problems as long as the bow and stern are stabilized.

For storage, the slings (or bars) are also about 6 feet apart for both boats (hanging upside down), mostly for convenience. For relatively even weight distribution you would probably want to plan your supports one third to one quarter of the boat length in from the ends. 8)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My Explorer's cross bars are pretty far apart for Thule Hullavator with the Oasis. My VW GTI bars are much closer. I haven't transported it with the VW yet but the Hullavator along with the tie down lines on the front and back should make it a non issue.

Considering the Oasis is longer than the car it will probably look odd, but as long as it works that's what matters.

Just curious, considering the size and weight of the Oasis, any issues getting the yak on the roof?

2011 Oasis Ivory Dune

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks guys.

As far as getting it on the rack (on a jeep wrangler), no real issues, but I will be adding some lift handles.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My Subaru will allow only 40" spacing max, and that seemed to work OK upside down. When I started putting rod holders and other stuff on the gunwales, I needed to change to upright transport. I cut two pieces of 1" PVC to 74" lengths, and sleeved each one with a 72" length of polyethylene pipe insulation. After I slide my Oasis up on the racks, I lift one side, and put one these covered tubes lengthwise between the rack and the Oasis. It fits down the groove on the bottom. I then lift the other side and do the same with the other tube. This way the Oasis doesn't sit crosswise on the racks, it sits lengthwise on the PVC tubes. Much more support that way.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

LeBron wrote:
Is there an optimum distance I should have the bars on my rack, to minimize any distortion on the hull?

Sorry for bad sentence structure and spelling.

Thanks

While I'm at it, do you know what it should be for an adventure?

Thanks again.

What kind of rack attachments are you using, or are you just using the rack alone. I've hauled my Oasis on a lot of long trips on many different platforms and could probably help if I new exactly how you were stowing the boat on the rack.