Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 1985 Hobie 16 with what looks to me to be a setup with the short upper forstay, jib block assy and downhaul block, and lower forstay.

I have never rigged the boat. I purchased all new rigging. Does the Jib itself go outside (forward) of the Forstay.

I am not sure the way I have it setup is correct, and I am not sure the way I have the jib halyard wire fed through the Jib Block is correct either as the pulley one quarter of the of block (the upper right hand corner in the pic, hard to see in the image) is enclosed.

This is the last step before I raise the mast for the first time. thanks

Here is a picture of what I have come up with for sequence.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bluesman,

If I'm understanding your question right, then yes, the jib sail attaches directly to the forestay. Use the vinyl hook at the top of the sail to attach it to the forestay and then attach the jibsheet to the sail for hoisting. Looks like its rigged right to me.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Everything looks good. When you raise the jib and apply tension to the halyard, the forestay will go slack, so you're right, the jib is forward of the forestay and the luff wire in the jib takes up the tension.

I think your other question is regarding which way the wire block faces because of the tab that connects the cheeks ("the quarter of the block" in the "upper right" position). The tab probably was designed as a stop to prevent the swaged sleeve from getting jammed up top, so your wire halyard is running correctly, the downhaul block is close to the mast and the shackle end is forward.

One thing to save a little time while rigging, you can take the end of your white halyard line and thread it up through the downhaul block right now and leave it that way. After you hoist your jib, just pull enough halyard from the block to create a big enough loop to go around the cheek block at the base of the mast, then tension the halyard and cleat off. Otherwise, it's tough to thread the block while holding the halyard and protecting yourself from the jib that wants to knock everything out of your hand. The cheek block at the base of mast is mounted in such a way that a slack loop can easily slide on and off.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the detailed response hrob that is exactly the information I needed. Thanks also for the tip on the downhaul block.

I guess I will give it a try. All the pictures I have looked at look like the luff of the jib is behind / aft of the forstay. Per your explanation I guess this should occur when I tighten the jib halyard? I would think the forstay will sag and go aft of the luff edge of the jib and chaffe the jib?

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You have the halyard reversed - the halyard should be in front.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So if the Halyard is reversed does that mean that once the jib is raised that when you pull the halyard towards the mast to secure you wil end up twisting the upper forstay and block?

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Some cats tension the halyard at the jib tack and in that case the halyard would be reversed to run forward so they can be tensioned and secured. Since the standard Hobie 16 jib is being used, the picture is correct because the halyard is running aft to be secured at the mast base.

The forestay will sag aft once the jib is tensioned. It will just hang there next to the jib. You have a nice new coated forestay that shouldn't chafe the jib too much, does the jib luff look worn from its previous use? Are the jib tell-tales intact? Some sailors add a bungee or go with the stacked two chain plate bungee tensioner to eliminate the slack. Check to see if the white jib hank on the head of the jib will easily slide over the coating of the forestay. There is a recent post discussing options to enlarge the opening to make sure everything operates smoothly. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I removed the coating from my forestay a long time ago because the plastic hank on the jib wouldn't slide easily over it. I also found that a lot of people don't bother to connect that hank at all. I prefer to have better control over the jib as I raise and lower it but it isn't necessary.