Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I purchased my PA 14 new december 2011. It is a 2012 model. I took it out for several months before i decided to start rigging it. Here are some of the additions. Questions or comments welcomed....
First my most prized piece of equipment. The hobie lumbar support. This keeps my butt from going in between the seat supports creating the "pain in the a$$" sensation.
Next is a small product from HOOK1 called the panfish portrait. This was recently added and i love it. I can do my solo shots as well as remove for videoing fellow anglers. Mounted to the side board with a scotty flush mount base.
Next is my dogbone combo from HOOK1. I have ram mount rod holders that i can remove and attach the dogbone combo with my go pro camera on either side of the kayak. Installation of the ram ball base was a little bruising on the arms because i reinforced the inside of the kayak with an aluminum plate and used lock nuts on the bolts. I felt this will put
less stress on the area.
The next piece is my visi carbon pro collapsible flag/360 light. Mounted to the rear grab rail
with a scotty base. The scotty base also doubles as a base for a nice bycicle light for night transport.
Next piece is the Hobie livewell. This item speaks for itself and is a "MUST HAVE" item for the kayak.
Next is my Lowrance elite 5 fish finder/gps. Installed transducer through hull and get awesome results. Here is the setup
Here is the transducer behind the mast hole and the battery foam holder in front minus the battery of course
the unit
ram ball connector to eliminate all that stock clutter
and last but not least the paddle holders.

Last edited by gsellers1245 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: My rigged 2012 PA 14
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Very nice job!!! I'm waiting for my Humminbird 587ci HD DI unit to come in along with the Mad Frog Liberator mount. I've got the Native paddle holder now but I like the look of yours better!! What kind of paddle holders are they?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Its called the quick fist mini grip. Its not sold as a paddle holder but for tools and such. It is UV protected and makes an ideal paddle holder. With the hobie paddle it fits snug and it will latch on the first notch on the grip. That are really strong and cheap to boot. I found mine on ebay for $4 each.

Now i just realized from the pics i need to clean the garage...lol

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the info!!! At least you can see the floor in your garage!!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice setup. Just curious...are there any rod holders forward of the seat? With the Hobie live well and the rod holders I can see, you're not lacking for any...lol. Love the camera mounts! Tight lines!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There is no rod holders forward of the seat. I do alot of inshore fishing and use topwater alot and dont want much to get in the way. If i wanted a rod holder next to me the ram tubes can angle forward at a 45. And they double as armrests. When im fishing inshore i dont use the fish finder because the areas i fish i know like the back of my hand.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks like i will be getting a killer deal on a lowrance elite 5 Dsi...new mods to come...transducer deployment arm,and mad frog side boards. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice set up!!!! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had my Yakattack visicarbon pro in a similar location and found that I occasionally would snag it with the back cast. I moved mine to where you added the RAM ball for your rod holders and now I can easily reach it to turn it on/off or lower in case of tree branches and I haven't hit it once while casting.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice looking rigged PA. I am trying to find the lumbar support you on your seat ? I have the same problem and that support would cure it I believe, thanks.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Very clean set up. Have you used it in the ocean or in rough water yet? I have my paddle strapped to my starboard handle at deck level and sometimes waves will barely hit the blade. Have you had any problems with your paddle being closer to the water level? Also, where did you get your battery foam?.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dry Bones wrote:
Very clean set up. Have you used it in the ocean or in rough water yet? I have my paddle strapped to my starboard handle at deck level and sometimes waves will barely hit the blade. Have you had any problems with your paddle being closer to the water level? Also, where did you get your battery foam?.

Yes, ocean and very rough water. No problems with waves and the paddle. It sits pretty high up. As far as the foam block, it is included in the hobie fish finder installation kit.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice rigging!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

For lumbar support, get one of those wire-frame mesh units at any office store. I got one at a Dollar Store recently for a buck. If the existing elastic isn't long enough, a short piece of bungee cord is all you need. Works great, is cool, and weighs nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

RockyRaab wrote:
For lumbar support, get one of those wire-frame mesh units at any office store. I got one at a Dollar Store recently for a buck. If the existing elastic isn't long enough, a short piece of bungee cord is all you need. Works great, is cool, and weighs nothing.

I looked at them but didnt think they would hold up. I have back problems and depending if my back is acting up or not the hobie lumbar support can be inflated or deflated. Plus its nice and clean with a non slip backing so it doesnt move when installed.