Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all I have just registered for this forum as I am trying to solve the issue of the starboard (right) scupper hole cracking again... I have already had the hull replaced (under warranty)of my Tandem Island and now the same thing is happening to my new hull. The right side bulges upwards under the load of the kayak but not the left side. Eventually the plastic around the top of the hole cracks. I am always extremely careful to take the weight of the kayak off of the wheels when storing and keeping the Aka's off until launch. I hate to have to replace the hull again as it seems such a waste. Any ideas?? Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:10 am 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

The carts are only good on a TI for short trips to the water and back (a few minutes). bouncing trails are even worse. I hope more people are reading this. If it's bulging, it's on for too long and will crack eventually. It's also important that the collars are completely at the bottom of the posts so some of the weight is on the crossbar. We created the TI Dolly because the plug in carts are so limited in their use on the bigger boats that we offer.

You can try to weld the cracks to seal them up, but unfortunately, this hull may need to be replaced.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, Thank you.
i realize that the wheels are not meant for heavy or prolonged use but it appears to me that the area around the post holes is under engineered particularly on the starboard side? the port hole did not bulge on the 1st hull nor is it bulging on the 2nd hull. The problem with the dolly is you can't take it with you on the water and I have been adventuring on my TI therefore need to pull it up onto beaches that I did not depart from. I Love my TI! I think it is pure genius and as far as I have experienced the scupper issue is the only downfall. I hate to make another warranty claim so have wrapped an old yoga mat around the crossbar to distribute weight and have lowered the collars as you describe. Thanks for replying, this is what I love about Hobie.
Cheers. N

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Is this scupper hole/hull cracking an issue with the Revolution boat as well? Rolling the boat down trails seems a key thing.

Some of the put ins around Los Angeles require at least a couple hundred yards of potholed paved service road or dirt road travel to get the boat to the sea. Even paved-lot parking can be a real walk.

Up and down hills to the sea ins't unusual. Think beach diving where you need to put in and paddle a mile to kelp beds.

The oversized Wheeleez styled scupper hole cart was what we were looking at. Is this ill advised? Are strap ons better?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Adding tennis balls to the cart posts (Thanks! Roadrunner) can help a lot in bad cart travels, but be careful on the weight in the boat while on the cart and stress on the scupper tubes if it gets hard to pull (pulling out of a deep hole). Also, always use the "cart Keeper" so it can't bounce partway out of the scupper tubes. See: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=41469&

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks guys, I will try the tennis balls but I dont like my chances of stopping the cracks from happening again, I really do think Hobie need to re-engineer the hull to be much more sturdy around those areas, particularly on the TI as its a big craft and needs the strength, otherwise it will get very expensive to keep on replacing the hulls...
Cheers.