Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New or used
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I read a thread on the challenges of finding a used Hobie 16. I am in the market and am having the same luck dealing with sellers over-billing their boats, or finding junk, old or too beat up. I don't see driving 400 miles to look at a boat.

Does anyone have any criteria other than 'size of wallet' on whether to buy new or used?

Post subject: Re: New or used
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was in the same situation in 1985, looking for a used boat but ended up buying new. I am still sailing that boat and have had minimal maintenance costs. On a cost per year basis, it cost me less than $200 a year, without allowing for the present value of the boat. I never regretted deciding to buy new. Prices were much lower then. If you want to start sailing and not worry about fixing up a used boat, new is the way to go.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

A little patience will pay dividends. To me unless you wanna race super competitively a new boat is a waste of money. There are so many 16's, and TBH finding a diamond in the rough is a tremendous feeling. My last 16 cost me 500 to buy with perfect hulls and sails as crisp as a lays potato chip. Threw in some new rigging and lines and had a super quick 16 that looked awesome for under $1000
Just my 2 cents

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you have the money ... go for a new boat.

The boat will be nice and tight....

More time sailing...

Less time fixing things and waiting for parts... (unless you like fiddling around)

A new boat could last you 30 years or more... (pro-rate that per year)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If you have the money for a new boat...
No brainer!
It's nice to have new and enjoy. Me... not so much!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

To be honest, you sound like you are complicating yourself too much. Sailing, specially Hobie Cats, are EXTREMELY FUN, but you got to have a VERY POSITIVE ATTITUDE, because this is a Sport which requires a GOOD POSITIVE ATTITUDE !!! If you find is "a challenge" to find a used Hobie, to be Honest, you have already quit before you even started. ( Is that possible ? )
Now, if you have it, ( a GPA ), find a local Hobie Pilot and ask him to give you a hand finding a USED ONE, and follow his/her advise to the last details.
I got me a used one, but not until I sailed her many times, I figured out that this was a sport I wanted to keep doing. Perhaps now that I know that I love it, I would buy a new one if I could afford it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, I might be where you are now. I definitely love this sport. I sail JY15 and J22, but grew up on a H16 and a Laser. All great boats. So I have the positive attitude. Most of the boats I have looked at were too old or damaged. Some were bought off the market faster than I could look at them - those were probably in the right shape for the right price. Many are across the country or 6 hours away. Adding up drive time, hassle, rental costs, etc takes its toll, and begs the question if new is worth it.

Where would I find a Hobie Pilot. I have not heard of this.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yelkenli,
I have a 2009 Hobie 16 for sale, still like new.
Are you anywhere near Arizona?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why are you selling?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought it new when I lived near the gulf coast in Texas. Just like you, I looked to try to find a used one in decent shape.Then I moved to the desert of Arizona in 2010 to be near our new granddaughter. I work a rotational shift, working of month on / month off, that by chance is set up so I miss every race in my area all year. I hate to see it sitting in the garage taking up space when maybe someone else could use it.

By the way, I have all the receipts from the dealer showing what I paid.
It's listed in the for sale section of these forums
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=43176

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am not anywhere near Arizona. Does anyone know a way to transport a boat across country?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

yelkenli wrote:
I am not anywhere near Arizona. Does anyone know a way to transport a boat across country?
Try uship.com for transportation options, or contact your local Freight Forwarder.

If you have the money and are a buy-and-hold sort then consider new since, as already mentioned, the cost of ownership decreases with time and you're buying a known quality product. Also consider the cost of your time and effort finding the right used boat if you live in a place with a small local inventory. The price difference between a ten year old boat that you may spend four weeks finding, delivering, and possibly spending more time and money updating or upgrading or replacing parts may come close to the cost of buying new.

But if you want to save money, have the time to search, and don't mind doing some work to get it rigged to where you want it then used is a good option, plus you learn quite a bit about the boat while working on it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If my numbers are right, a new H16 is $10 or $11 THOUSAND! I just bought my 5th or 6th 16.. and had a nearly new 17 also. But while looking in Indiana, I located more than 20 boats within decent driving distance, with most on Craigs List. Some in bad shape, some were great. This one is 1981.. w/solid hulls, and crisp sails. The tramp needs new hiking straps sewn on (at a total cost of about $40).. and I need to do some tune up on loose rudders. No trailer with this one, but found a used trailer a few days later. Total investment $650. If I bought all the new toys I want to add, that could be about another grand.. but only a few items are really necessary right now.

I'm sure there are some serious racers on here.. but as for having a LOT OF FUN sailing and flying a hull (as a Hobie Pilot).. why pay more??

If there is wind where you live, there should be used Hobies!

Sail on, Jerry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Figure that a new one will be about $15k by the time you get out the door, is that about right? If you use it 30 years, it is still only about $500 per year.

If you only sail it 5 years, and sell it for $4k, then the price of fun goes up a little to about $2200 per year.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I know this post is a bit old now, but if you haven'y already got a boat I say...
If you can afford it and you think you will sail it often, go for new... Nothing compares to owning a brand new boat. I faced the same question and went for new. so happy that I did! :D