Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gopro Adhesive Mounts
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi guys I just got one of these cameras and was wondering if the adhesive mounts will still to the hull of my revo? I found a couple of places where they fit nicely and should give me some nive angles.

So anyone using these?

Thanks in advance
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Should hold just fine. Might want to tether it to something as well just for security.

On my Hobie 16 I have been using the suction mount with tether and I like that better than permanently mounting the mounts. More versatility for shot angles. So far I've done some stupid stuff and the suction mount has held just fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Maybe I'm just a fuddy-duddy but I cannot fathom the appeal of these cameras. What exactly is the attraction?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thank you sir. I guess I'll start looking for the suction mount

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RockyRaab wrote:
Maybe I'm just a fuddy-duddy but I cannot fathom the appeal of these cameras. What exactly is the attraction?

Just fun to show people where you went and what you did. It is also helpful with me learning to sail to be able to critique my performance.

Dan Morera wrote:
Thank you sir. I guess I'll start looking for the suction mount

Make sure it will actually stick to your kayak's deck. It sticks well on my fiberglass but it won't stick to anything thats very porous. IIRC your deck should be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

RockyRaab wrote:

Well there is nothing really special about them, for me is just another toy, I was making my videos with a olympus and they were ok. I got this one because I wanted to record in 1080 p, and it is very small and light, plus it has the head band thingie which I think it's pretty cool. And if these mounts really work my videos could have some pretty nice camera angles. Oh and my olympus recorded 30 minutes and stopped, this ones will stop when a certain file size is reached, but will start a new one right away for continuous recording.

Hey PurdueZach, how do you tether this camera?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dan Morera wrote:
Hey PurdueZach, how do you tether this camera?

Right now I just have a marine shock cord tied well to the suction mount and the other end tied to the boat. I'm not sure if a shock cord is preferable or not.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Dan, my curiosity isn't about that model of camera, but rather why take videos of yourself AT ALL.

The sailing critique may have some merit. But four hours or so of somebody pedaling around and casting seems to be about as pointless as it is possible to get.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

RockyRaab wrote:
Dan, my curiosity isn't about that model of camera, but rather why take videos of yourself AT ALL.

The sailing critique may have some merit. But four hours or so of somebody pedaling around and casting seems to be about as pointless as it is possible to get.

Ahh I see, well mine are all about fishing, so I try to keep the action in the fight, and showing the catch, the reason? well people have always shared their fishing pictures, so for me it is pretty much the same.

I know I really enjoy watching someone fishing, specially if the video is well done. I agree that someone a video of someone just pedaling around and casting would be somewhat boring, unless they got nice scenery, oh and that's another one, I love watching the scenery of places like the PNW, we don't have anything like that where I live, so I find it very interesting.

But yes, I understand what you mean, I just don't put this into the same category as kids who take pictures of themselves in the bathroom mirror :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I suppose I was doing that. I'll confess to having one or six grinning mug shots taken while holding some nice trout recently. And there was time when the other guide was shooting video of us fighting one (for his website) so maybe I can kinda sorta "get it."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

When I do lil video things I edit it way down to things actually happening and ad some stills for more interest and add some music I write.. fun lil side hobby