Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What are the criteria for each Fleet and the requirements for graduating or moving into the next fleet? I thought I saw something online awhile back but can't seem to trace it, is there a document which has this information or is it at the sailors discretion as to what fleet they enter?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:07 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi Kevin,

Way back when (1980s), if you won in a C-Fleet, you moved up to B; when you won in B, you moved up to A.

Problem was, as the fleets eroded, everybody ended up in A fleet.

The HCA Divisions manage the move-up criteria now. Most of them have a points system. Whoever gets the most points in B fleet moves up to A fleet the next year.

With dwindling fleets at regattas, almost all the C fleets are gone and B fleet is fairly thin.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Kevin,I think you would be considered "A" Fleet :) .
Where the heck have you been,still sailing the 16?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am over in England coaching for the Canadian Olympic Sailing Team, it's a ton of fun but unfortunately means I am out of the Country a lot and miss most of the Hobie events. I still have a 16 tucked away for when I have time to join in again but my question about fleets was in regards to my Cousin. Madcatter was his first ever race as a helm and he was on an old boat (fixed up 84) so he went in B Fleet. He happened to do really well but was getting some mixed opinions on what fleet he should be in. Some see A Fleet as a right of passage that you need to earn by winning B Fleet for a year first and others may think going in B Fleet is sandbagging and he should go straight to A Fleet. I was just looking for some clear criteria to follow so he is well guided.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good luck over in England,GO Canada.
Still waiting for video of the last Tornado Race from the Olympics in China you promissed me :) .

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Kevin,

The move up criteria is up to the divisions and Division 16 only moves sailors up to A fleet based on the previous years results. The division by laws are on the division 16 website in the documents section.

cheers
Bill Jeffers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok thanks Bill, So as the by law reads Marshall is required to do a minimum two events in B fleet this year in order to qualify for advancement to A fleet status next season. Unless permission from the Race committee is granted to race directly in A fleet this year.

Point 16.4 adresses the option to move back one fleet after one event (if new to the class) but as I understand there are no such prescriptions for advancement.

What fleet do you advise Marshall to enter for the remainder of this season?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Kevin,

I would advise staying in B fleet for the rest of the season and then make the decision for next year. There is a big jump in skill level moving to A fleet.

cheers
Bill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That was my initial thought as well, but Marshall won both races in B fleet at Madcatter by half a leg and caught the tail end of A fleet so a lot of people were telling him he should be in A fleet. I was hoping the document about the fleet criteria would provide some clarity.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If he was that far ahead,he would probably benifit more sailing in A fleet.Might be a bit of an Ego buster but not much to be learnt (or fun for that matter) from being that far in front and sailing on his own.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

His preference is to sail in A fleet as obviously racing more boats is more fun. He has quite realistic expectations of what his results will be in the more challenging fleet. He did well at madcatter however there were only two races in similar conditions so hard to say exactly where his level is, I think who he has for a crew plays a big part in it too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

great to see Marshall is enthusiastic,we need more young blood.