Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rags to Riches Regatta
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Anybody in the NW Florida area participating in the Rags to Riches Regatta in Grayton Beach on 1 July? I'm told it's about twenty 16's and my girlfriend and I are planning on making this our first race.

1999 Hobie 20, Sail #1005
2001 Hobie 16, "Spirit of 76 sails" #18515. Sold
1981 Hobie 18, Dead!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is a great Regatta. I raced in it back in 1992. Great times. And great people who put it on. If you meet the Patrie's tell them Harrison says hello. I actually run into them from time to time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

won the 92 race (won B fleet, 3rd overall ) with my dad... he and i haven't discussed running it now that we've got new boat...you say it's july 1st???

Fun race... btw...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We're really looking forward to it.

This is what I recieved from an Elizabeth Savage the race coordinator

The race is Sunday, July 1, on Grayton Beach. Registration is 8 to 10am. We will have a short clinic offered by one of our local racers around 10:30 with Skipper's meeting following at 11am. Race should get started around 11:30 depending on wind. We will start and finish at the same location. The race is about 10 miles round trip to Seagrove and back. Entry fee is $45 per boat. Each boat must have two sailors, a Captain and a Crew. Boats are all 16 ft Hobies with the exception of one 18 ft boat that will be sailing with us just for fun. Many of our racers are local so they just sail to the starting line. If you have a boat that will be trailered in, you will need to have a Walton County decal on vehicle to drive on the beach. we have a designated spot for trailers to be stored on the beach. If you need help getting your boat on the beach, I can arrange for someone to meet you when you arrive to help get your boat. We don't preregister for event, we do that day of.
I look forward to seeing you out there. Please let me know if you have other questions.

Elizabeth Savage

1999 Hobie 20, Sail #1005
2001 Hobie 16, "Spirit of 76 sails" #18515. Sold
1981 Hobie 18, Dead!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

pretty much how it's always been - there's probably still the igloo cooler of screwdrivers and bloody mary's at the start area that becomes a keg when done...great time...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

richestorags wrote:
won the 92 race (won B fleet, 3rd overall ) with my dad... he and i haven't discussed running it now that we've got new boat...you say it's july 1st???

Fun race... btw...

I think I got second or third in the same race!!!!!!!!!!! Same afternoon Jim Patrie and sailed the H16 back and flipped only to find out one of the hulls had a hole in it. Spent the night in the gulf, He was found off of St Andrews Pass the next morning.......... Not a fun night.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

richestorags wrote:
pretty much how it's always been - there's probably still the igloo cooler of screwdrivers and bloody mary's at the start area that becomes a keg when done...great time...

by the time the race was over, only thing left was a Keg of Killians Red.......... The one and only time I ever drank that stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dehydration and Beer!!!!!!!!! Note to self, take water on boat!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had blocked that killian's red from my mind - as i recall it was warm...or not exactly cold...

spent the night in the gulf..found off st. andrew's pass... nasty....glad those hulls float with water in them...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jim took a long tack out and was going to make one turn, back towards the beach house we were staying at, Way down past seagrove (Cannot think of the area), when he did, the windward hull had filled with water so as soon as the boom moved over, over they went. My self and Jim's Daughter (GF at the time) had ridden back to Destin in a Boat, when we got back Nancy (Jims wife asked us what time he had left, "He left right after we did", So, we took off back to Grayton, not there, thought that maybe just was hanging out. then searched the beach between......... nothing, called the coast guard and watched the search plane fly back and forth all night. Next morning we finally got a call that a Fishing Boat (Charter) found them about 1-2 miles out, called the Coast Guard, gave them water. Then the CG arrived got them on board, got the boat righted and towed back in. Very Long night!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

sxrracer wrote:
Jim took a long tack out and was going to make one turn, back towards the beach house we were staying at, Way down past seagrove (Cannot think of the area), when he did, the windward hull had filled with water so as soon as the boom moved over, over they went. My self and Jim's Daughter (GF at the time) had ridden back to Destin in a Boat, when we got back Nancy (Jims wife asked us what time he had left, "He left right after we did", So, we took off back to Grayton, not there, thought that maybe just was hanging out. then searched the beach between......... nothing, called the coast guard and watched the search plane fly back and forth all night. Next morning we finally got a call that a Fishing Boat (Charter) found them about 1-2 miles out, called the Coast Guard, gave them water. Then the CG arrived got them on board, got the boat righted and towed back in. Very Long night!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW!!!!! :shock: Given the number of sharks i've seen out there - he was lucky...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

richestorags wrote:
I had blocked that killian's red from my mind - as i recall it was warm...or not exactly cold...

spent the night in the gulf..found off st. andrew's pass... nasty....glad those hulls float with water in them...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just remember it was wet!!!!!!! At that time that is all I cared about!!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont think I could have walked a crooked line shortly after that!!!!!!!!!!!!! buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Is there anymore slots for "just for fun" for a 20' boat? Are non-class legal H16s allowed? I would really love to do this race but my 16 is not legal with a solid mast and non-hobie tramp. Its also 450 miles away, but my 20 will be there locally.

2010 AHPC C2 #218

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Go to the facebook page and send Elizabeth Savage a message.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I don't know the organizer personally, but i'd bet she'll be fine with another fun runner in any size boat...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I got permission from the organizer, now to only get those extra 2 days off work for my already 2 week vacation!

2010 AHPC C2 #218