Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm watching a used i12s on sale on British Ebay. I've asked for the year of manufacture, but haven't had an answer yet. I'm a bit puzzled by this photo:
because the line of the hull/stem seems to slope sharply back from the point of the bow. This would make the waterline length quite a lot less than the overall length. Current photos of the i12s on the Hobie site show the bow and stern profiles as quite vertical, giving a waterline length very close to the overall length.

So is it just a deceptive photo, or have there been different versions of the i12s with different profiles? (Or, indeed, different versions with any other differences.)

All help appreciated.

Mary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's a deceptive photo - and if he only inflated the outside 2 chambers and not the floor then the bow wouldn't get the proper shape - I think he just pumped it up to take a quick picture and that's why it doesn't look the same.

We only have 1 design i12 - I'm sure it's the same as all of the others - just a bad picture.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Jacques, many thanks for the instant response. That's very reassuring, that I don't have to worry about different versions of the kayak.

I hadn't planned on buying a Hobie until next year. (Retirement and pension pay-off.) But a used i12 now might leave some slack for a new Revo 11 later...

Mary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks like the outer chambers are not fully inflated also.... Just what it looks like to me. Good Luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, Thinwater. I did think the seller's photos don't make the boat look as substantial as Hobie's pictures. Under-inflation would do that. Auction doesn't end until Saturday, so I'm in suspense until then.

Mary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had the i12, and that pic looks odd... probably under-inflated as previously mentioned. I think you're gonna love the i12- I traded mine in for an i9 only because my wife and kids also wanted one, and we now all have i9's filling up the back of the mini-van when we go to camp LOL. The i's are awesome, if they hold up to the test of time; and so far they have for me... I've been riding 'em since they 1st came out and they are holding up just fine. Great boats, thank-Hobie!