Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I acquired an older Hobie 18 last fall. I noticed the bolt (part 8040111 at the bottom right of p.57 in the Parts_18.pdf file) holding the MRCY to the mast was badly rusted and decided to replace it before launching this year. After quite a struggle I extracted the bolt, and found it has a metal sleeve stuck on it that I can't get off:

I don't see the sleeve on the parts diagram. Looking inside the mast fittings where the bolt passed through, it looks like there may have been some silicone or other adhesive type material holding the sleeve inside the mast. From looking at the fittings on the mast, however, I am wondering whether the setup I got may have been a non-standard retrofit (perhaps using a plain steel bolt!?):

Also I noticed that when I scratch the corrosion off the washers used on the assembly they seem to have a yellowish color, suggesting they may some metal besides stainless steel, maybe bronze? Here is a picture of a washer beside the former head end of the bolt just prior to extraction:

I am planning to get a 0.319" ID / 0.375" OD sleeve of stainless steel (McMaster Carr part 89785K238) and put it around a 5/16"-18 stainless steel bolt and use stainless steel washers and a stainless steel nylon insert locknut to hold everything together. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

That doesn't look OEM. On my boat there is a single stainless bolt with a hex head and and the nut is one of those with the plastic insert to keep it from backing off. Probably a stainless washer on each end too (working from memory).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Its a compression sleeve. It is there so that when you tighten the rotator bolt, you don't crush the mast. It is an OEM part, although just about any piece of tubing with the same ID/OD will work. The OEM part is probably aluminum which is why it corroded.
It isn't really a necessary part. Just don't crank down too hard when you install the new bolt. I broke a rotator bolt about 10 years ago on my boat and never replaced the sleeve. It is still going fine today.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Its amazing you got it out without getting the sleeve loose.