Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok on to the next problem. I hope the pics help... Im running thru everything and getting parts list together before I order parts.
I wanted to make sure mast is water tight. As for the mast base it looks like the previous owner used wood screws to hold it together. The mast has one hole that has cracked and the others are worn. The base also has one bad spot.

So do I cut mast down?
Do I just drill new holes and install the proper rivets?
Do I need to do anything to bottom of mast to make it stronger? Maybe add aluminum around bottom and tig weld it?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would not hesitate to reuse that base.....have see a lot worse used successfully. Get rid of the nonstainless crap, drill new hole(s) and/or use rivet cases as necessary until can make four solid,tight connections, and use stainless or monel rivets. The most troublesome shear and tensile loads on the base are during stepping. The load while sailing is almost entirely compression, and your mast/base looks OK to me in that regard.

Regarding the water-tightness of the mast, don't worry about sealing the base. While it's off, there is (supposed to be) a foam plug inside the mast above the base. Make sure that's secure and sealed. (Same for the plug below the masthead and all rivets between the two plugs.)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok great news. Ill get some rivets together and get it done. What type of sealer is best to use on foam plug?

I did pull the top and it looks good..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Definitely reuseable. That guy was really worried about losing that mast base. Never seen so many fasteners in one. Mine has 4. Just move the holes and re-drill with a decent edge margin on both the mast and mast base. You really don't have to worry about sealing the mast base, but I do just for another barrier to the water. Good Luck.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I reused mine, and it was in worse shape. I hammered it in tight, then drilled new holes through the mast into the base. I used a tap and die kit to thread the holes for #10-32 stainless screws. It is holding up quite nicely. Somehow my foam plug was pushed about a foot up into the mast, but it has shown no signs of any leaking.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:48 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Bah650 wrote:
What type of sealer is best to use on foam plug?

Use a polysulphide caulk (Boat Life, Sikaflex). It takes forever to cure, but it stays flexible and sticks like nobody's business.