Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

I have been lurking for a little over a year. I got Outfitter new in early 2011, and it has been exceptional. This forum has been excellent, and contains many answers, and excellent ideas.

Recently, I was taking on a gallon or so of water in a smooth lake, so I did the vacuum cleaner leak check described here.

My Twist-N-Seal hatches looked very similar to the ones shown (in the link above). There is a lot of info here about the problem. So I tried the Danco silicon grease, and I installed the seal in every orientation imaginable (inside out, etc). I could not get a consistent seal.

Then, I tried one layer of Teflon tape in the seal groove. All the hatches stopped leaking completely. I could not find any mention of using this. Is this a bad idea?

Also, why the funky O-ring cross section? Why not a simple circular cross section?

Thanks,

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

This is a very interesting topic. Anything that can keep the water outside the hull is worth trying.
k2ramair wrote:
Recently, I was taking on a gallon or so of water in a smooth lake,
That is too much IMHO.
k2ramair wrote:
I tried one layer of Teflon tape in the seal groove. All the hatches stopped leaking completely. I could not find any mention of using this. Is this a bad idea?
Thickness of the tape? In the seal grove, inside the O-ring? Or instead of the O-ring?

Can you please post a picture?
I have not heard of this solution either. If it works, it can't be a bad idea.
k2ramair wrote:
Also, why the funky O-ring cross section? Why not a simple circular cross section?

I have read something about that but I don't know where. It has something to do with the hatch being water tight and easy to close/open at the same time. To me, the whole design is too sensitiv to sand/dirt and demand a little too much maintenance, to be perfect.

br
thomas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It is the typical PTFE Plumbers tape you get from the hardware store for wrapping pipe threads. It is generally on a small blue spool, and about a 1/2" wide. It is very thin, maybe .020" (actually .002"). I will measure it so we have the data.

I don't think the thickness was too critical because I did not wrap it very methodically. I wrapped it around only once with maybe an inch or so of overlap. It does not replace the seal. It goes in the seal groove on the hatch itself, then the rubber seal goes on top of it. I tried to wrap it so it would span accross the seal groove (thinking the tape would be on three sides of the seal once the seal was put in the groove), but it mostly folded into the bottom of the groove. For the most part it can't be seen once the rubber seal is installed, but there was a couple places where it comes out the edge and you can see it. I will try to snap some shots of my haphazard job.

It definitely seems to be working. I had the boat sailing in 15-30 mph winds Sunday (Green Mountain Reservoir, Heeney, CO). The boat was in the water for 4 hours, getting swamped every which way (never tipped over thought). I even had it tied up on a dock with the stern in to the wind, which kept water coming over the rudder lines, and two of the hatches for a little over an hour. In the end, the water in the hull was minimal. I probably could have dried it out with a couple pieces of paper towel. I think what got in was primarely what falls in when you open the hatches.

Last edited by k2ramair on Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The tape is actually .002" thick and 1/2" wide.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It is still staying dry inside. Last weekend I sat up from while my son was sailing in 15-20 mph winds. He hit a boat wake that turned the front seat into a bath tub. I think it took 10-20 seconds to empty back out. In general I stayed pretty wet, but the inside stayed essentially dry.

Here are some pictures of the PTFE Tape. Like I said, I was not very neat. I was frustrated with the leakage so I just threw this stuff on. It did not seem to matter as long as it was there.

Here is what a typical roll of PTFE tape looks like:

Here is some shots of the hatches with the tape:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the pics!
Very easy fix really. Will try it.

Thanks!

br
thomas