Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I wanted this in the Hobie folding bimini thread I started but somehow I must have done something wrong :? I don't want to lose everthing I typed so I am just going to do what the site is asking me to do. If you can move this over to the other thread that would be great.
I haven't been able to get the photo's from saltifisherman and life has been getting in the way but I haven't forgotten. I hope this helps some of you who are thinking of getting one yourself. I am very impressed with it's construction and flexability and really look foward to using it.
I haven't pulled my PA out yet but have taken some photo's for anyone who is thinking about purchasing a Hobie sun shade. I wanted white so other boats could see me better so I had to order my Mantis direct from Pro-techt. This is the Pro Jr plus and I am using a sheetrock square so you can get an idea of the size.
This is the adjustable Hobie base which I will install in front of the molded in rod holders, this photo shows the underside where the stainless screws for adjustment are, it is open almost all the way and will close down to the point where it actually touches the round mounting point so it also is very adjustable.
This photo shows the sunshade mounted in the Hobie base. It is extremely adjustable and easy to change it's position or angle.
This photo shows it open
This photo shows the underside
This photo shows the location(s) I am thinking about attaching a camera mount. I still am unsure how I want to do it so if you have ideas please share them. Option one is utilizing the bolt holding the top head where the support spines are, option 2 is using the rivets.
Another photo showing the underside a little closer.
This photo shows the amount the top arm actually extends below the Hobie mount, I may need to put a ring on the Hobie mount to make sure it can fold away without hitting the topside of the cargo area. It is going to be close and I think a ring on the round portion where the shade mounts would be a better option compared to shimming the whole base up (if necessary)
I will add pictures of the install when I do it, if not this week next week.
If you have questions ask and I will try and reply in a more timely fashion.
I don't really like the size of the photos and thought I had it set for 1/4 screen but they are too big requiring scrolling across to read. If you know why please let me know. :?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This photo shows the hole location I used, my instructions that came with the hobie mount called for a 3/8" hole for the rubber/nut insert.
After installing the rubber inserts I put a small amount of antiseize on the screws and secured the mount in place.
This photo shows how much head room (the top of my head is 36" from the deck right behind the seat)
This shows how the top arm comes into contact with the hull which interferes with putting the top in the stored position. The unit is all the way down on the mount (flush, see arrow)
This picture shows the unit in it's stored position which required loosening the collar and raising the whole unit so it would clear the deck and leaves a gap.
If I were to do it all over again I would look into a mount that would hold the whole unit a little higher for the pro angler, if the unit sat 1-1/2 to 2" higher it would work great but I don't think Hobie is going to alter thier standard mount so I will continue to make adjustments.

Last edited by Jbernier on Tue May 15, 2012 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fixed image links

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It has been brought to my attention that the Original pro shade (36"-52" height) may have cleared the hull. I am staying with the pro jr and making shims to raise the whole Hobie mount. The advantage of going from around 3" to 5" of space under the mount will allow me to put my dry box mounted livewell battery in the space under the mount. I am also going to install a 1/4-20 nut insert (it's like a threaded pop rivet...search 'nut insert') to install a camera mount to the top rib/bar/support instead of trying to utilize the rivets or bolt. I will post more pictures when I get a chance to do it (hopefully next week).

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I like :idea:

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice report ecduzitgood! I was wanting one of the bimini's but I am trying out something similar that I rigged up to save a few pennies. I'm curious how it works when there is wind? My main concern would be a gust of wind blowing when it's open and rip out the well nuts. I've used well nuts for other mounts and they didn't hold very well. Also, how easy is it to adjust the the position of the bimini when sitting?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have an alternate method in mind that I will use if the rubber nut inseerts don't perform well, it seems pretty secure but only getting out with it for a while will I be sure. It will propably require turning around to make adjustments but I don't see it being hard to do. The top takes only a small amounnt of turning (big black knob) to shift it into any position, either side, down to the stored position and the knob stays in place so there is no fumbling. The up and down height adjustment is made using the cam lock shown in the middle of the up right bar. The top/canvas can be opened and closed real easy from the seat and you can open one or both sides. Has far as the wind issue if I'm out and it seems to windy I will close it and probably head in, I will tether the unit just to be sure. There is another member (saltfisherman) here who has one and may be able to give you further information if you pm him.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

With the PA dodger you can fish in a rainstorm and be pretty dry. Do they make it in camofluage? :idea:

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just got mine today. Ordered the original pro plus direct from ProTecht with a swivel seat mount. I have my seat on a 7 inch pedistal riser so I can use the seat mount. Works perfectly. Lots of clearance and movement options that I don't think would work with the Jr. Plus I have the sunbrella fabric. Excellent design and build quality with this product. Need to get her on the water and see how it works in the real world not just the garage.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It would be great to see a deployed picture from the front and side without the picture edited to have everything else painted over. The angler doesn't have to be in th epicture...lol.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SRAces wrote:
It would be great to see a deployed picture from the front and side without the picture edited to have everything else painted over. The angler doesn't have to be in th epicture...lol.

I plan on getting better pictures, here are a couple more. I have to order the camera mount so I probably wount get more photo's this week perhaps someone else has some they could share?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Awesome! Thanks for posting the pictures!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Made up the brackets and remounted the whole mount 2" higher. The camera mount came in today but I have been shore fishing with my free time and have another morning or two left before I get the PA out for more pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So is this option best used when sun is overhead. Then the rest of the day you still in the sun? Just wondering.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It is adjustable to either side and it is quite wide. If you look at one of the photo's I posted you can see it is not in perfect alignment with the main support because I tightened the knob and didn't notice I had it slightly off before taking the picture. I apologize for not getting more pictures yet, but I have been working the shore with my free time and having a ball. Topped out with a 32 pounder so far which is swimming free somewhere today.
I will get the yak back out and install the camera mount and my new fish finder in the next few days since the bite has slowed. I will post the pictures for anyone interested. Here is the flexible camera mount and thread setter tool with the aluminum 1/4" 20 nut insert. I will cut a 1/4" 20 stainless bolt and screw that into the nut insert after I drill the hole and install the insert so I have the proper amount of thread exposed to mount the flexible arm with the tilt, pan, swivel head soon.