Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am getting a Humminbird 170 soon and want to use the foam puck with water method to mount the transducer. I have read threads that talk about possible disruption of the mirage drive to the angle of the beam of the sonar. Most of the installs I have seen on PAs on this and other sites are in the front hatch near the mast. I am thinking that puting the foam puck/water/transducer in the middle hatch area just in front of where the drop in tackle tray fits on the PA14.

Do others do this? Seems like it would be easier to access to add water when on the water if needed.

Also, I want to use the basic setup that is in the Hobie transducer kit, but I dont want to buy the kit. I alread have a large pool noodle that I can make the puck from, Marine goop doesnt cost that much and I want to get different/better wire gromets than what is provided in that kit. I will be able to do better and pay less than the kit.

That said, where the heck to you get the AA Battery pack/wires that is included in that kit? A dry bag is easy to come by too.

Thanks in advance for any help from you folks. I dont have specific experience with the Hobie kit, so if any of you think I should just get the kit (like some of the reviews I have read) please let me know. I can always just use the pool noodle foam puck in place of the mounting foam provided in the kit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I own a Outback and not PA....in any case you need to locate the transducer away from the Mirage drive fins to prevent disturbing the sonar signal.
That is why my Humminbird 768 transducer is located just forward of the mast tube.
I found that using Dux Seal, stocked in the electrical dept. of Home Depot works great in mounting the transducer inside the hull....this material is electrical grade, stiff putty....much like clay....and makes for relocating, changing out, removing the transducer painless!
It's also inexpensive....around $2.00 for a 1 pound pug and you need less than 1/2 pound to secure the transducer. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Correction to the product spelling.....is Duct Seal......50 years ago in the USN it was called Dux Seal or Monkey S**t.....back then the material contained asbestos fibers....no longer contained in today's product.
The bar code numbers on my package are 3207680110.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

For the battery in my PA I placed it in the rear sealed hatch. I used the storage tray and removed the adjustable partitions. I then used a dremal tool to remove what other material I needed to to fit the battery. Drilled a small hole for switch with rubber boot on toggle. Drilled another hole for wires to FF. Hooped around wires at tray.

It works out real well, easy to get to to charge and to turn battery on.

I never used that rear hatch as storage. Just to far out of the way.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The small 12 volts fit perfectly between the foam blocks on either side of the center hatch.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SMAN555 wrote:
The small 12 volts fit perfectly between the foam blocks on either side of the center hatch.

I was hoping to use this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LF ... A0XNQBW8HY

Since it is a B/W unit and I dont have any plans for other electronics.

Can anyone give me some exact specs for what I need? I know I need Goop. What do I need to wire the battery pack?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I used Humminbird's free trade-in program to get a plastic through-hull transducer. It is a far superior way to mount one and gives really great sonar returns. It is nearly flush with the hull bottom, hasn't leaked a drop yet, and doesn't interfere with anything. There's a thread on the installation in this forum.

I bought a 5aH battery at an RV supply store and I use small bungees to hold it against the front of the sail mast. I haven't ever gotten a drop of water inside the hull, but I could use a dry bag if that started to happen due to rain or something. I remove the battery for charging between trips.

Edit to add: Here's the earlier thread on my xducer install: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=42248

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Lowrance B&W unit that I power from 8 AA cells in a power pack I purchased at Radio Shack similar to the one shown. I keep it in a small box between the foam blocks adjacent to the center hatch. It works quite well, it is easy to change batteries.