Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I used to sail Hobies in my youth. I am looking at a mid 80's Hobie 16. Everything appears in working condition. The rigging is all there and straight. The rudders lock in and stay. Two sets of sails with the battens and an extra mast both are straight no kinks. The hulls decks are soft the entire length. The hulls sides and bottoms are firm and smooth not dinged up and scratched. tramp appears fairly new. I am looking for something to sail on inland lakes with my son on the weekend or after work. From what I have read, the soft decks have me worried. For $1000, should I keep looking or buy the boat? Injecting the resin to repair the hulls does not scare me, but is this a precurser to a more serious failure condition? Thanks for your opinions in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unless you are certain there is more than 1k in GREAT parts.. I would keep looking.. This sounds like a parts boat.

You CAN fix soft hulls.. if it is a spot or two...

They can also cure cancer...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Soft decks the entire length = parts boat. Do not sail this boat. Do not waste your time trying to fix this boat.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

soft spot

1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 Laser Radial/4.7 #190471
S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

offer $800 and use it as a parts boat or find another set of hulls, make a swim platform or something with the others, you'll spend a couple hundred bucks easy only on epoxy to fix the hulls, they suck it up, trust me. Full length two hulls you could use 2-3 gallons if not more.
Two sets of GOOD sails would be worth a majority of your cost if you paid 800.

Not sure where you are but hulls come up pretty often around here in the midwest, I was talking to a guy turning a perfect set of '81 H16 hulls into a duck blind, he was going to paint them camo if they didn't sell, sad but true, I didn't find him a buyer but someone could have probably gotten them for $250.

I've seen pictures of hulls that have broken in half due to delam, I wouldn't chance it, especially with my kids on board.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks everyone for the advice. I thought the consensus would be walk away. Everything on this boat has been maintained but the hulls.

I live in Indianapolis and I would not know where to begin looking for a set of hulls. Any suggestions? Won't buy the boat unless I had a line on good hulls.

Thanks again for the wisdom.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

In Indy you've got limited options but they could be reliable (I'm originally from the South Bend area but I went to school and have friends and family in that part of the state), the two that come to mind to me are 1st there is a Hobie dealer down there, they are called sailboats inc, not far off of the north part of 465, I met a guy named Charlie there, new parts and used boats there are dealer price $$, but they have a boneyard out back and might have some hulls, you could give them a call and ask, 1 317 872 7845.
The second bet is the Eagle Creek sailing club, I'd show up on a good sailing day and meet as many people as you can, in conversation let them know your situation, someone might have an extra set.
Third - http://www.thebeachcats.com/classifieds/catamaran-parts/p11967-1980-27s-hobie-16-for-parts-plus-trailer.html
Try this guy out, I've been want to go get that boat for a few weeks for parts just don't have the time.

Forth - If you don't mind a little bit of a drive, I live by the lake michigan coast, boats for parts are for sale up here all of the time on craigslist and what not, We could get in touch, find out what you are looking for and I could probably find you a older set of solid hulls for a couple hundred bucks and meet you in Indiana somewhere like Ft Wayne-ish, I have family in Goshen so I'm down there quite often. If it comes to that just send me a pm.

Good luck

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

optikid wrote:

soft spot

sorry the pic did not post

1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 Laser Radial/4.7 #190471
S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P