Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1981 16?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi folks I found a 1981 (I think) Hobie wasting away and am thinking of buying it and redoing it. It's in fair shape no hull damage tarp is shot blocks seem dry roted but maybe still usable? ropes gone needs a good buff out just wondering where to get parts for this thing reasonable and what it is worth as is to make the man an offer. Has trailer with sail box. any info appreciated.

Post subject: Re: 1981 16?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

if the tramp is gone and the blocks are shot you are looking at an easy $1000-$1500 to get it in sail-able shape with all the new line and standing rigging and blocks and tramp ($500 by itself), but that being said you will know the boat inside and out if you fix it up your self. My boat was a rescue as i call it and it took a lot more than i through to get it back in shape, and the tramp was still good. If there is any de-lamination that is happening anywhere, i would walk away. once it starts it will keep de-laminating until you have redone the entire boat, as that is what is happening on my boat. If the trailer and hulls and mast are all good ( but needs just about new everything else), i think it is worth about $600-$800 on the high end with out seeing it, but i am by no means an expert. with all of the work that needs to be done$400-500 is much more reasonable again only if the hulls and mast and trailer are good. as far as a place for parts, i would recommend murrays watersports, as that was the place i got most of the parts for my hobie. they have great customer service and the fastest shipping i have seen.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Id offer 300, but that's a starting off point. If say the boats value is between 300 -1000.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd 2nd 300, I've bought a couple parts boats for around that, I would look at it as a parts boat because at the surface you are looking into spending a lot of money to get her up, but you'll also find used parts to get you on the water at a good price, you could probably replace the tramp and blocks for about 1/3 of the 1000-1500 mentioned by going used to start out with, how ever there are somethings that shouldn't be bought used, like standing rigging.

Good luck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It seems like the first question would be 'what condition are the sails in?"

That will be $1500 new or $300-800 used to replace.

What I would be looking at would be, in this order:
Start at Zer0 value -
Good solid hulls, worth $300
Good usable sails - $400 for recreational sailing, up to about $800 for prestine
rudders complete in good condition - $200
Solid usable trailer - $400
Trampoline that doesn't need to be replaced - $100
Complete with all the other hardware - $100

This will give you a good idea of where to start. The key on a 30 year old boat is that it will be used for weekend, recreational use I assume, so making sure it is serviceable and usable is key. Plan to have to replace some of the rigging if it is a freshwater boat, all of the rigging if it was a saltwater boat. All the lines will need to be replaced, but you can do much of that with $20 worth of Home Depot rope. This will get you started and on the water. Trust me, if you fall in love with it, you will want to start upgrading things and you can do it over time as money is available. The key to start out is to get a boat at a reasonable price that you can just hop on and sail. Once you get it, post some pictures and ask questions, the guys on here have seen it all and will tell you how to do anything. My only caution, and I REALLY don't mean this as a slight, is that most of the guys on here are pretty serious about their sailing, and meticulas about their boats. Some of the advice on here is geared toward the competitive racer, not the weekend guy who just wants to get out on a boat for a couple hours before the BBQ starts, so while there way is definately the RIGHT way to do it, there are many times much cheaper ways to do things to get you started.

I rigged my boat with Home Depot rope. It works fine for me while I am out learning on my cheap old boat. Someday, as I get better, I plan to upgrade all my running lines and sheets, blocks, etc. But for now my ropes abilities far excede my own!

Have fun, keep asking questions, buy a damn boat already!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

One point I will make is that the season has started and do you really want to spend all that time fixing stuff or sailing?
Fixing all those things is a good way to learn the boat (as I still am) but at what cost to the sailing season.

I also agree with Steve's comment about this site being geared towards serious sailors. There are other sites that may offer cheaper suggestions. I happen to agree that if you are going to fix something do it right, but first find out if you are really into sailing.
I am still in that finding out phase so I have not made any serious investments in my boat. Which is why I got a boat last year that was water ready.

Sounds like you are on a budget so add up some of those costs already posted and see what you think it will total up to including your time spent fixing & look at what else is available around you and then make the call.