Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So I have recently come across a hole in the bottom of the hull of my hobie 16, although I am a little worried, it makes sense because the boat is old and it is easily fixable if I just put fiberglass over it. I have seen a fiberglass repair been done at the sailing camp I work at but I just want a little reassurance because I haven't done it myself. So what I need is fiberglass strips, fiberglass resin, sandpaper, brushes, something to mix the fiberglass resin and the activator, and gel coat for after (even though I think this is optional). Correct me if I am wrong on that part. Then for steps its just a series of sanding, then resin, then the fiberglass, then resin, and once that dries you sand it again, and then just gel coat. Please, again, correct me if I am wrong. I know this is a long question but I could really use the help, thanks guys!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You are correct. I'm guessing that the holes are there because of wearing the bottoms off on the sand? Gelcoat is not mandatory, but suggested. It also will add more abrasion protection from the sand.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You are exactly right, hitting the beach, dragging across the beach, I am surprised I don't have more holes, especially for how old the boat is. Thanks for the reassurance by the way, much appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just finished doing this for first time. These forums and YouTube have a bunch of tips And the Hobie magazine has a blind hole repair article. I'd point them out but can't type em all from my phone :)
Make sure ypu use polyester based resin not epoxy.