Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about loading my PA onto the plug-in cart when i am ready to leave the water?WITHOUT tipping it on the side and dumping my gear all over the ground.Right now i prop the H-bar under the back handle to install the cart.Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated,i don't want to end up bending my H-bar.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

One habit I've really tried to develop since I started fishing out of my PA has been properly stowing my gear in the boat so it doesn't fly all over the place when launching, landing ect.
When landing, I usually tip the PA on it's side with the bow on ground and the stearn afloatl in 4-6 inches of water to install my HD Cart. Stowed gear will stay put and tilting it on it's side while in the water makes it easy on the hull.
Good Luck!

Gene
Lakeville, Minnesota

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you can't get help, the best is to tip the PA up about 45 degrees. You can then find the scupper channels with the cart tips. Holding the boat with one hand and the cart with the other is the hardest part.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I probably get the most abraisions on the bottom of my PA when I pull it forward out of the water to get it ready for attaching the cart. Usually by lifting the bow up I can easily get most of the PA out of the water to about the rear scupper holes. I try to be carefull not to scrape it acoss anything that would gouge the hull.

I then put down a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet to one side and roll the PA over on that side to alllow attaching the cart. This keeps the side protected and the abraisions/nicks down. What little bit of scuffing I get when I pull the PA out before attaching the cart is very, very minor.

They're plastic, so if it's loaded with a lot of weight, the chance of scuffing/scraping increases with that weight. I have yet to launch somewhere where I had to walk a long way from the truck to the launch site, so I have yet to fully load the PA for one trip in/out of the water. I usually get the PA down and in the water (or beached so to speak) and then finish loading the rest of the heavy stuff.
Just my experience so far...

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Avidangler,

I've found it easiest to remove and install the cart while the PA is still in the water. Anything under knee deep may require lifting the stern a wee bit or rather than lifting, placing some gear toward the bow will accomplish the same thing. If it's 20" or more, the cart can be inserted without lifting.

I trailer my PA and the best way for me to insert the cart before hitting the water is to simply pull the PA back until the rear scuppers have cleared the cradles and then plug the cart in. I'm guessing this can also be done from a car top carrier.

I hope this is helpful,

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for all the ideas and suggestions.I thought about the idea of inserting the cart while the PA is still floating,Glad to hear someone else has tried it!.......When i get into situations where i have many or large fish in my cooler,gear,electronics,Evolve,food,water,and whatever else i bring i will have to give it a try.
Thanks again!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can second GR8 Laker's suggestion. That is actually the only way I have ever done it. Wheel out to knee-deep water, lean down and pull the wheels out. On the way in, reverse the process. Where I generally launch this is pretty simple - a LOT simpler than tipping the PA on its side!