Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Parts come in today. Pics to follow this evening

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Company called transducer shield might have what your looking for. It's a shield that holds a puck and a lss1 structure scan. They have different angled wedges. I say epoxy that thing on the bottom by the rudder. Run the wires out the top and down the back. You can choose in the program to switch left to right if you mount it backwards. Unfortunately they don't make one for the lss2 yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok i got the lowrance transducer scupper mount kit. One stupid detail i overlooked. The new connectors for the lowrance fish finders will not fit through the drain holes under the seat. Go figure. Went to ace hardware and got some more marine goop. This time the consistency was totally different and it seemed to be alot easier to work with. Lets hope the 3rd time is a charm. The structure scan will be mounted on the transducer deployment arm when the lss2 comes in. I have never felt so indecisive in my life. Why cant these things go easy. Maybe because im too picky, who knows...anyway goop updates to come tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

One of the new accessories i got today. It is the locking scotty flush mount 244L. I got this one because i didnt want to worry about the notch being lined up and possibly taki.g a huge wave or a big bump while in transport and the fish finder flying off. Now i just put it in and lock it. Done.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

gsellers1245,
Do you have any additional photos of how your flush mount works? It sounds like a great idea!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

jims wrote:
gsellers1245,
Do you have any additional photos of how your flush mount works? It sounds like a great idea!

Ill post more pics when i get home tonight. Actually ill do a video comparison.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Marine goop epic fail...got home this evening to find the exact same bubbles. Now the gears are really turning.
1. Since i do not want to utilize the rear scupper hole for the transducer because i will lose the functionality of the hobie livewell as well as the cart. The rear scupper is out
2. Using the forward scuppers will leave the transducer exposed to the elements because the groove under the hull isnt deep enough
3. Using the new connectors on the fish finder the drain plugs under the seat will not work because the holes are too small.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I really like my over the side transducer deployment arm. I used a Mad Frod Mini Liberator to mount my new Humminbird 385 ci DI. Due to the way I store my boat upside down, I needed to be able to pull my entire fishfinder setup out of the boat, so you can see that I have the extra power and tranducer cable coiled under the Liberator base (I had seen others do it this way). I'd love to be able to do something different with the cables, but I can't figure a way to do that with how the connections work on the Humminbird quick release base. Also, once I learned about the availablity of the 587 ci HD DI unit with the larger screen (this unit was mentioned in another post on this forum), I upgraded and just switched out the new 587 head unit. Works great!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am looking at the Lowrance HDS 5 Gen 2 and is somewhat confuse with so many models to choose from.

My question is, does side imaging comes with the HDS Gen 2 right out of the box? Or will I need the optional plug in LSS2 module in order to get the side imaging?

Thank you, and great job rigging your PA!

Lee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the transducer arm, however, it will be for the structure scan when it comes in. I kind of dont want 2 transducers hanging over the edge of my kayak. Im going to experiment with a wet mount tonight. Going to fire up the dremmel and get at it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

gsellers1245 wrote:
I have the transducer arm, however, it will be for the structure scan when it comes in. I kind of dont want 2 transducers hanging over the edge of my kayak. Im going to experiment with a wet mount tonight. Going to fire up the dremmel and get at it.

Glenn,

I have to say it has been entertaining following the high and lows of your effort to get your transducer mounted in a way that suits you. It will be interesting to see what you finally settle with. Good luck!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TDK wrote:
I really like my over the side transducer deployment arm. I used a Mad Frod Mini Liberator to mount my new Humminbird 385 ci DI. Due to the way I store my boat upside down, I needed to be able to pull my entire fishfinder setup out of the boat, so you can see that I have the extra power and tranducer cable coiled under the Liberator base (I had seen others do it this way). I'd love to be able to do something different with the cables, but I can't figure a way to do that with how the connections work on the Humminbird quick release base. Also, once I learned about the availablity of the 587 ci HD DI unit with the larger screen (this unit was mentioned in another post on this forum), I upgraded and just switched out the new 587 head unit. Works great!

TDK,

I don't think the cables detract that bad. It looks like a setup that's easy to setup and take off completely when needed. I was out this morning and my 385cd DI works just fine with the thru-the-hull mounting kit.

Great to hear the 587 worked out for you.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Anybody got any good photos of a "wet" through the hull tranducer mount?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

After lots of searching google, i think i may have a remedy. I will be trying "duct seal" putty method. The putty is easily removable, not permanent, waterproof, and installation can be done in a few minutes.

It is raining like crazy here in tampa, once i get a break in the weather i will go and test it out.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm gonna do the duct seal method too. Seems simple and cheap.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next