Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,

I'm kind of new to sailing and have had my Tandem Island for 1 month.

I'm having a small problem. When I'm bringing my boat into dock I reef the sail and use my paddle to control the boat at low speed.

Here's my problem. I think I have something set up wrong when I fully pull on the yellow rope to completely :mrgreen: roller furl the sail, it actually leaves about a 12 inch wide triangle of sail still "out." this is enough sail for he wind to continue to drive the boat.

Is there some way to set my boat up to COMPLETELY roll up the sail when I pull on the yellow cord so that I don't have 12 inches of sail exposed? I think I've got it rigged wrong.

Thanks!

E

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

leelanauX wrote:
Hi,

I'm kind of new to sailing and have had my Tandem Island for 1 month.

I'm having a small problem. When I'm bringing my boat into dock I reef the sail and use my paddle to control the boat at low speed.

Here's my problem. I think I have something set up wrong when I fully pull on the yellow rope to completely :mrgreen: roller furl the sail, it actually leaves about a 12 inch wide triangle of sail still "out." this is enough sail for he wind to continue to drive the boat.

Is there some way to set my boat up to COMPLETELY roll up the sail when I pull on the yellow cord so that I don't have 12 inches of sail exposed? I think I've got it rigged wrong.

Thanks!

E

E

It's so simple you will laugh. Add two or three wraps around the furling drum before leaving the beach when setting up. The sail furls tighter when sailing than when setting up after storage.

J

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Are you supposed to wrap clockwise or counterclockwise?

THANKS!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The sail wraps around the mast counterclockwise and comes off the port side.

The furling line does the opposite.

Together, the mainsheet and furling lines act as a pulley would. So tying the bitter ends of each line together makes them easier to manage.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I found it interesting that both the sheet and furling line are routed along the starboard side. When I was building a furling device for my Revolution I opted to run them on opposite sides, so I could handle one with my right and one with my left hand.

If they will return and pay out roughly the same, then tying both together makes one heck of a lot of sense. I may have to play with that idea. Thanks for the tip.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Kirkman wrote:
I found it interesting that both the sheet and furling line are routed along the starboard side. When I was building a furling device for my Revolution I opted to run them on opposite sides, so I could handle one with my right and one with my left hand.

If they will return and pay out roughly the same, then tying both together makes one heck of a lot of sense. I may have to play with that idea. Thanks for the tip.

Tom

sadly they don't pay out the same; the furling line pays out at 1:1 but the sheet pays out at 2:1 or 3:1. So for every foot of furling line you will wither get 2 or 3 feet of sheet.

j

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's ok, though. You can only wind so much line on the mast. Too much furling line will overload the spool and foul things up.

The mainsheet can really be any length you want. Excess usually just drags in the water.

On the TI, you can borrow mainsheet line from the rear seat to give to the front. So whoever is going to handle the lines can be given just the right amount.

No matter how or what you sail, I would suggest keeping the main short enough so it will not wrap on the rudder.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tying the sheets together works well in practice and makes it easier to get to the end that you need to haul in or out. I found the furling sheet supplied by the dealer to be less than generous and replaced it so that I can fully furl and still not have to reach too far forward to furl the sail.
The only other craft I have sailed with a furling main was a bare boat Beneteu 40 footer in the Whitsundays. Aren't we lucky to have a furling main at the TI price. :P