Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been reassembling my rudders after a long refurbishment project. I don't remember any difficulty disassembling the rudder assembly, but now one of the lower castings has misaligned holes - the one at the top is about 3/32" aft of the other holes when I try to put the rod up thru it (which I don't want to force), and you can look down thru the holes and see the misalignment. The old pins were metal and I've long since disposed of them - possibly one was bent.

After some head scratching and comparison with the other casting, I think the problem is that the holes were cast or drilled improperly. In the pics you can see that there is about 3/8" of metal on the boat side of the bottom hole, and only 1/8" or so on the top. The pin goes up thru at a distinct angle - it's parallel with the boat edge of the casting on the other one. Looks like poor manufacturing rather than being bent. Anyway, have a new one on the way!

Image Image

Last edited by blord5 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This doesn't seem possible. The only way to warp a casting would be to heat it or be struck hard like getting hit by a car or something. Are you sure your gudgeons aren't somehow out of alignment?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I didn't think so either. I can't run the rudder pin up thru the holes in the casting by itself. The pin goes up thru the bottom hole and the long hole thru the middle part of the casting, but hits the edge of the hole at the top. Not a lot of slop in the holes either. The gudgeons are aligned with the hole thru the deck. I can't see any noticeable deformation in the casting either - or a mark that would indicate it had been struck.

This boat was rode hard and put away wet before I got it. Nearly ready for the water again.

Would you attempt to ream out the holes slightly? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What have you got to lose? If you drill it out and it works...great. If not, you're no worse off. It really sounds like it was hit with something hard enough to push it off center. Most lower castings on older boats have a lot of slop in them anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've shown it to a lot of people up here (ME) and nobody can see any evidence of damage - doesn't mean it didn't get hit, though. I've already ordered a replacement anyway. Add it to the many replacements I've had to make to get this "dirt cheap" boat to sail. This is proof you get what you pay for!

By the way, are you familiar with how to use the rudder casting bushings? Do they insert into the top and bottom holes after they have been resized to 7/16"? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I picked up a set of lower casting bushings but never installed them. I assume the casting is line bored at the factory and I didn't think I could get a straight bore with a hand drill. If you tilt the drill at all you've going to F it up for good. I've lived with rudder slop for so long that it doesn't bother me. Maybe one day I'll take them to a machine shop to be bored out.