Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi every one! Yesterday sailing with a friend on the northeast river "Charles town MD" in 15-20 knot winds I managed to kill my Cat...well my dads 1970's hobie 16. Our boat had previous damage on the top of the port hull from a tree limb falling on it. However it looked merely superficial and we continued to use the boat several times after. The starbord hull was replaced under warranty due to a crack shortly after the boat was purchased. Anyway we had pitchpolled the cat earlier yesterday while on a starbord tack so the damaged hull took most of the impact. About an hour later while 3/4 of a mile from the closest land now on a port tack we heard a terrible crack/crunching noise and i watched in horror as the port hull folded at a 90 degree angle about 3 feet back from the front mast support wires. Imediately the mast droped back about 5 feet and I was sure we were going for a long swim. We shifted our weight as far aft as possible to get the hull out of the water and continued twoards the closest beach, some how limping the crippled boat back to shore. Now im not sure how to post pics on here yet or I would show you all the signifigant damage...but If any one has a port hull in good structural condition located "relatively close" I would be very interested in purchasing it, or even a parts boat. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ooooooohhh.. crunching sounds!?!? NOT GOOD! Glad you made it home.

H16 sans crunching noises

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks man! Yeah that ranks in the top 5 scariest sounds/moments in my life thank god the thing stayed semi attached if the mast had come down we would have been so screwed. Again I'm not sure if the hulls are identical "port and starboard" or if there is a dedicated side I'd have to get but I'm definitely looking to buy. I imagine a new hull ordered direct would cost well over a grand :(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There are so many parts boats out there, I would not bother ordering new. Ebay is a good start, but craigslist is a good alternative. Make sure you post your own in the "wanted" section. Someone may give you a hull if you are lucky.