Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi guys,

I am brand new to the forum and my father and I are both extremely interested in getting a PA12. I have a few questions, and I am hoping you guys can help. I want to say first that I have never owned any kind of boat and do not know much about them at all (Please be patient). We are planning on taking these out on bigger lakes and large ponds. We will be fishing for mainly largemouth, crappie, and a variety of catfish.

1. Does anybody recommend getting the Sidekick outriggers for the PA, or do they even fit? I want to ensure that this thing never flips on me.

2. This may sound dumb, but do you get very wet while using these (ie. water standing in cockpit, splashing over the sides)? We plan to take them out in some of the colder months here in Kansas and possibly Missouri and Oklahoma.

3. Is the eVolve motor worth forking out $2k for? Or would it be more cost beneficial to design a rig to mount a tolling motor? I am a mechanical engineer so the designing/building portion does not bother me at all. The reason I ask is because I have a bum leg and I am worried about peddeling for a long period of time.

4. As I have never owned a boat before, I do not have much experience with trolling motors. What kind of range/run-time can expect with a good battery.

5. Any suggestions for starter add-ons/mods would be appreciated.

I should probably also mention that we have found a place that will demo these at a lake about 2 hours away. Not sure what models they have tho. I plan to make a trip up there soon.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks and sorry for the giant post!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

wsushock wrote:
Hi guys,

I am brand new to the forum and my father and I are both extremely interested in getting a PA12. I have a few questions, and I am hoping you guys can help. I want to say first that I have never owned any kind of boat and do not know much about them at all (Please be patient). We are planning on taking these out on bigger lakes and large ponds. We will be fishing for mainly largemouth, crappie, and a variety of catfish.

1. Does anybody recommend getting the Sidekick outriggers for the PA, or do they even fit? I want to ensure that this thing never flips on me.

2. This may sound dumb, but do you get very wet while using these (ie. water standing in cockpit, splashing over the sides)? We plan to take them out in some of the colder months here in Kansas and possibly Missouri and Oklahoma.

3. Is the eVolve motor worth forking out $2k for? Or would it be more cost beneficial to design a rig to mount a tolling motor? I am a mechanical engineer so the designing/building portion does not bother me at all. The reason I ask is because I have a bum leg and I am worried about peddeling for a long period of time.

4. As I have never owned a boat before, I do not have much experience with trolling motors. What kind of range/run-time can expect with a good battery.

5. Any suggestions for starter add-ons/mods would be appreciated.

I should probably also mention that we have found a place that will demo these at a lake about 2 hours away. Not sure what models they have tho. I plan to make a trip up there soon.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks and sorry for the giant post!!!

I'll try and answer some of your questions. If you've never owned or used any kind of boat, then there are several areas to consider. Let's start with your list of items.

1. Outriggers: I can't vouch for the PA12 since I have a PA 14, but you should never need outriggers for a PA. It is a very stable platform. I would think that you would go in the water by leaning over the side too far before the PA would flip over. I have the PA14 and cast while standing and have caught a few hefty fish that have pulled me around or gone under the boat where you are working one side hard to keep the fish under control. I never worried about flipping over. You mentioned freshwater fishing, so unless you have huge wind blown waves (if you get caught on big water by a storm)...flipping over should not be a concern.

2. Getting wet: I've never gotten wet per say in my PA due to just being on the water or peddling around. If you use the paddle, you might get dripped on when paddling from one side to another. Again...bad weather can get you wet regardless.

3. Trolling Motor: Sorry to hear you have a bum leg and are concerned about a lot of peddling. I have peddled for extended periods as the peddling is so much easier than paddling. There are many ways to attached a trolling motor to the PA and you can find a lot of those solutions in the forum and on the web. I originally wanted to motorize my PA, but after using it for several months now, I'm not ready to go down that path. Unless you have a really large lake and your launch point is a long distance from your fishing spot, the peddles will get you there fine. But if you can't peddle, then a trolling motor setup might be required. Keep in mind that most states require motorized boats (even the PA) to be registered and display a registration number.

I can't speak about the Evolve motor. It was more than I wanted to spend to motorize my PA.

4. Battery Usage/Distance: In regards to your battery question, I would think that a good fully charged Deep Cycle battery would let you go all weekend in a PA depending on how much trolling you were doing and the general usage of the trolling motor. You distance should be quite a ways with a good trolling motor setup.

5. Starter Addons/Mods: Keep in mind that the PAs are basically a cross between a kayak and a small boat. If you've never owned a boat before, there are different aspects to consider depending on the boat type, size, etc.

a. Always carry a personal flotation device and something to get attention with (small whistle will work). Depending on where you fish those items are usually required.

b. If you night fish, lights will need to be added if you're on public water that gets boat traffic.

c. It's a plastic boat, so you will need to determine what storage, transport, loading/unloading method works for you to minimize the wear on the PA. It is an investment, so think about how and where you're going to use it.

d. Mods and addons can be many. It all boils down to what you need for the style of fishing you do. The best advice here is to look at what others have done to their PAs as far as mods, etc.. If you decide to make the plunge and purchase a PA12 or PA14, then take it out fishing before you make any mods or buy a lot of addons.

If you just take a basic bell shaped anchor (Walmart sells then) and some rope, you can tie off to the side rails to anchor.

Fishfinders are used by a lot of folks. If you're in water that is murky and you can't see the bottom, the fishfiner is helpful for watching the bottom to ensure you know when you're getting shallow (below 2 feet in depth). In skinny water you might have to feather peddle or use the paddle that comes with the PA.

The key is to just fish from it and then visualize where you might need to add or mount an item (i.e. rod holders, etc) to make your use of the PA the way you want.

I've rambled on enough. I hope some of this helps.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you only plan to motorize the PA due to an inability to pedal then why not take your $3500 and buy a jon boat with trolling motor and small outboard?

I love my PA but one of the reasons I sold my boat and bought this was the added benefit of a little healthy exercise while I was fishing. A PA doesn't seem like a practical purchase to me if your only plan is to hang a motor on it. There are much more stable and drier options out there that can be had for the same cost and you wouldn't have the worries that you've presented here.

I learned a long time ago that if you plan on fishing out of a kayak/pirogue/canoe/paddle powered vessel that some degree of wetness is just part of the game.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great advice so far. I have had my Pro Angler 12 for about 2 weeks now. Prior to that was the Hobie Outback for just over a year. The Pro 12 is very stable and dry. I primarily fish the harbors and within 5 or 6 miles of shore in the ocean near San Diego. The only time I get wet is entering and exiting the yak at the ramp or beach, going through the surf or if the chop is up and I get some spray over the bow. Of course landing fish always brings some water in the boat ;)

There is also a sail kit that can be used. I have Friends with pro 14's that use the sail and love it. Difficult to over power and easy to dump the wind if a gust hits.

Using the mirage drive is no more difficult for me than walking. I can easily maintain about 3 knots for many hours (I'm in my 50's and not is the best of shape). My knees are not the best and I have lower back trouble but the new seat in the Pro 12 is more comfortable than my desk chair in my den. For trips of 1/4 mile of less I can get upwards of 6 knots, then have to slow and catch my breath.

The most difficult thing for me so far is trying to figure out what to leave at home when I take it out. There is so much storage that I end up taking more than what I need.

I also say take any boat you get out fishing several times before making any changes. Figure out what you need and where it will be most useful and not in the way. With my Outback I ended up moving a couple things after installation and had to fill holes.

One other point, if your leg prevents you from lifting and moving more than 80 lbs, look into a trailer or pickup truck. My Friend (over 60) car tops his Pro 14, I use my pickup.

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I used to have a Min Kota 55lb PowerDrive on my Hobie. Great on those windy days!
Battery life will greatly depend on how you use it. I had 2 batteries
1. Optima blue marine. I want to say Group 32 or 34
2. Walmart 24G battery

I could troll lightly with either (speed 2-3) for 4-6 hours without any issues/never drained. If I "gunned" it back or used it to go fast at times, I could expect 3hrs of use out of the 24G. The Optima never ran out- even when I tried.

What you need to think about is weight. The Optima weighed roughly 60-70lbs, while the 24G only weighed 40lbs'ish. Im glad I went smaller.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You can flip a PA 12!! Ive done it. I was sitting in the HIGH position with the vantage seat and turned sharp as the steering would allow. The high seat position, my weight (245), forward motion and turning sharp to the left sent me and the kayak rolling over to the right. Sitting in the low position was very much stable. I wish I would've had some warning about this from Hobie or the dealer but I guess these things are so new nobody knew.? You will find you get very little water at all in this kayak. Probably the most you'll see will be from you pants and shoes when you get in the thing. Because this kayak sits high in the water, very little comes in through the mirage drive. They even supply a small rubber piece you can mount to prevent even less from coming in. As far as the electric motor goes, I'll just say theres not enough battery life there for the amount of money this thing costs. Go to youtube and search kayak with trolling motor...There are some interesting set ups with regular trolling motors. You'll love the PA 12. I've only been out in mine twice and see that this things going to be a blast year round.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BillyH,

I'm sure that's not something you wanted to happen, but now you know what to avoid. I have the seat slider on my PA14. I'll assume looking at the PA12 pictures that you do sit up higher in that Vantage seat as opposed to the current PA14 seat with or without the slider addon. My seat is only 2 inches higher than the stock installation.

It's kind of like driving a 4X4 and sharp turns...lol. It will turn on a dime if you crank the rudder hard and you're moving. Happy to hear you love the PA12 regardless. I'm like you and live where I can fish year round in my PA. Was out last night for 1.5 hours before it got too dark.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Guys thanks for all of the answers. I think I am sold on the Pro Angler 12 and will be purchasing one this winter. When do the new year models normally come out? I may take a look to see if there are any worthwile changes in the PA14 before I make my final decision.