Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm having trouble reassembling my rudder/tiller assemblies. First I've had to trim the front edge of the rudder so that it will fit into the replacement lower casting - it wouldn't swing down enough to allow the upper casting to engage the cam and lock down. Think I've licked that problem.

Also the previous owner removed the tiller tube end caps and reassembled them upside down with big sheet metal screws holding them on. That puts the cross bar under the two tiller tubes instead of on top. Finally got the siezed end caps out of the tubes but now unsure about the angle that they fit into the tubes. The rivet holes don't line up the same on both sides with the end caps. Should the lower, relatively flat side be absolutely horizontal when the rudder is vertical? I'll be putting in new tiller connection kits and new end caps eventually - but for now I just want to see this boat float! This project is getting long in the tooth...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:25 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Quote:
Should the lower, relatively flat side be absolutely horizontal when the rudder is vertical?

That's the ballpark. You don't want the tiller arms or the connection bolt scraping the deck when the rudders are up.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks. Is it normal to have to relieve the forward edge of a rudder where it bumps into the lower casting so that it swings down enough for the upper casting to engage the cam, or is something else possibly out of kilter?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:19 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

blord5 wrote:
Thanks. Is it normal to have to relieve the forward edge of a rudder where it bumps into the lower casting so that it swings down enough for the upper casting to engage the cam, or is something else possibly out of kilter?

No, it's not. The holes in the rudder are most likely out of place. However, if it works now, don't try to fix it.