Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Streached rigging
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I noticed also today that even though both left and right shrouds are in the lowest hole and the bridal is also in the lowest hole I still have slop in the rig. How much will the shrouds stretch? Or again is there something sinister going on. I did check the plates where the adjuster attaches to the hull but found nothing significant in that area. I also checked the fit between the com tip and the aluminum mast to see if had perhaps collapsed somewhat.

Post subject: Re: Streached rigging
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Did you have the downhaul pulled on hard? If so, this will bend the mast and effectively make it shorter.

As far as the rigging stretching, I'm sure it can happen, but it would take place after the first few times you sailed the boat and then it would stop. It would also be a relatively small amount (maybe a one hole adjustment necessary in the chain plates).

So if your shrouds are well used or if something changed by a couple inches, then I would definitely look around to make sure everything is OK as this would not be normal stretch. Make sure all the hull fittings are secure and that the nicopress fittings haven't moved.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

How far do you have the mast raked back??

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

First let me say I am checking this with no sails on the boat. Like I said in my origonal post all the shrouds are pulled down into the lowest hole...so I guess it should not have much rake. I could probable drop down another hole if there was one. Makes me nervious...anyone know the lengths of the shroulds on a 06 Getaway? At least then we would know for sure that it is or is not the shrouds. I don't want to even think about what else it could be, all I know is I don't want the mast falling overboard because of somthing stupid that I missed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

[quote="Roy"]anyone know the lengths of the shroulds on a 06 Getaway? /quote]

Anyone???

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roy,

I'm no expert, you could measure each to see if one is longer than the othe right vs left. I might suspect a clamp joint slipping (swage sp?) and that would let one grow longer than the other. But, that being said, I think you will have enought measuring error that it will be very difficult to tell unless one is really stretched more than the other.

Lay them together and add a bit of tension and see what you find?

Jim