Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: wheeleez cart
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ordered a wheeleez cart from tackle direct want to add rail kit or make one out of pvc was wandering if any body who uses wheeleez cart does so with out rail kit and how it works for pro angler and if anybody could post pictures of pvc rail kit for wheelez cart thank you

Post subject: Re: wheeleez cart
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a pa 14 and the cart did not work well without the rail kit. The hull buckled without the kit and the tire would rub the hull. the wheeleez set I purchased is the largest one.

I thought about adding more support where the hull didn't have any other than what is there. Decided it was easier to just buy the kit.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Two things....

As the previous poster mentions, it will rub if you don't have the rail kit and it will collapse if you don't use two straps.

I use the larger cart (highly recommend) and just bolted a couple of pieces of PVC to the cart. Works great. I had the scupper cart, but GREATLY prefer the wheeleez cart. MUCH better than the scupper cart. I live on the Gulf Coast and the larger Wheeleez is essential for the soft, fine sand on these beaches.

You're going to love it, but DO use the rail kit (or make your own).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Re-read your post. Keep in mind that the rail kit from wheeleez is made out of aluminum and foam. The PVC is a DIY thing... but it works great.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Would you say that the wheeleez cart is as easy to load/unload the pro angler when compared to the scupper cart?

I mostly do solid ground launches but every now and then I like to give the beaches a try. Figured the Wheeleez is the best way to go but if it's going to be a pain to load/unload every time I think I'll stick with the more convenient cart.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the ideas, I do not have a PA yet, but I am trying to figure all this out. I have a wheeleez beach cart (not the kayak cart) and the wheels are great in soft sand, but they are susceptible to puncture. I had some questions:

1. Is the Hobie scupper beach wheel less susceptible to puncture? It is some kind of foam? Do you inflate it with air?

2. Can the wheeleez solution be carried with you like the scupper cart or do you have to leave it on the beach?

3. The wheeleez solution appears to allow you to balance the weight over the wheels as you wish. The scupper cart has to go into the scupper holes. When you put it in the scupper holes, is the weight mostly on the wheels or do you still have a significant weight on your arm as you pull the boat?

thanks very much

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

gatorling wrote:
Would you say that the wheeleez cart is as easy to load/unload the pro angler when compared to the scupper cart?

I mostly do solid ground launches but every now and then I like to give the beaches a try. Figured the Wheeleez is the best way to go but if it's going to be a pain to load/unload every time I think I'll stick with the more convenient cart.

The scupper cart you can tip the kayak and place cart in.

I use the wheeleez cart, non scupper cart, by placing it on a slight angle on port side of kayak. It's placed just back of the area in want the kayak to end up on when I'm done. I lift the bow of the kayak and swing it over the cart, the stern pivots on the sand. You can then use the straps to fasten. Right now this is what I found works for me. I'm 6-1 and have the height to lift it where I need it to be. The cart ends up just under the front edge of the seat.

Quick note the straps they give you with the cart are too short and you have to add a second set to gain the length you'll need. The PA is a wide bugger.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

hobiefan42 wrote:
Thanks for the ideas, I do not have a PA yet, but I am trying to figure all this out. I have a wheeleez beach cart (not the kayak cart) and the wheels are great in soft sand, but they are susceptible to puncture. I had some questions:

1. Is the Hobie scupper beach wheel less susceptible to puncture? It is some kind of foam? Do you inflate it with air?

2. Can the wheeleez solution be carried with you like the scupper cart or do you have to leave it on the beach?

3. The wheeleez solution appears to allow you to balance the weight over the wheels as you wish. The scupper cart has to go into the scupper holes. When you put it in the scupper holes, is the weight mostly on the wheels or do you still have a significant weight on your arm as you pull the boat?

thanks very much

1 The wheels are air filled

2 I leave my cart with the vehicle, it's big. Being I have the largest cart they make and the rail kit too. Yes you could strap it to the kayak, but I don't. I'm always close to the truck.

3 I used the scupper cart first and used the back holes just behind the seat. There is a good amount of weight on your arms at the bow. I never tried a set of holes closer to the bow to see if they made a differance or not. With the beach cart figure see saw, with the scupper cart figure it's a fulcrum and the amount of weight on one end is increased by its placement.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the reply.

Sounds like the Wheeleez cart might take a slight bit more time to unload the kayak.
Right now I just push the PA into the water until it's about mid-calf on me then I lift up the PA and let the scupper cart fall out.
Sounds like with the Wheeleez I'll be moving it out to the water, unstrapping it, sliding the kayak off and then make a trip back to my car to stow the cart.

On loading it back in, seems like the Wheeleez would win here. Just beach the PA, go to the car, pivot the PA onto the cart - strap it down and then I'm good to go.

Glad I made the purchase of the Wheeleez vs scupper. Was pretty set on the scupper until I realized that I wanted to do quite a few beach launches (for summer time dock fishing). And after everything was said and done, I was able to get a Wheeleez for $189 new.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

cart was delivered like it very much used pvc and foam for rail kit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

kayak cart with 30 cm wheels fits in bow hatch of pro angler 14