Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tramps
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I received a set of Hobie AI tramps today. They appear nicely made and I'm sure I'll enjoy them in the right situations.

There have been a few posts indicating that in strong winds the air can get under the tramp on the windward side and create enough lift under the tramp to contribute to turning the AI over. Now that I see the density of the fabric weave it's not hard for me to believe.

No idea how much of a problem this is (perhaps it's not at all an issue in any but the strongest winds) but it's easily solved (on Hobie's end) by using a heavier fabric but with a more open weave or mesh. It shouldn't be hard to retain the same load carrying capacity while at the same time reducing the tramps tendency to trap air. A heavier but more open mesh would seem ideal.

Post subject: Re: Tramps
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

more fishing net ... .... less fabric .... ... very good!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom, is there anything you like about the AI? Just wondering

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Kirkman wrote:
There have been a few posts indicating that in strong winds the air can get under the tramp on the windward side and create enough lift under the tramp to contribute to turning the AI over. Now that I see the density of the fabric weave it's not hard for me to believe.

In my 6 years with the AI I have never turtled but with the addition of tramps a few years back I came real close a few times. Yes tramps will grab air and it is a scary feeling when they do. Best advice is in high wind either roll them up or sit out on them. The times I got caught in a near roll over was from a sudden gust of wind combined with chop and I was in the cockpit not hiked out.

I think Tramps make great addition to the boat but you have to be careful.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think it's a great concept. Because mine has a split hull, it's a little too early to say if I like it or not, but I suspect I will. I've had it out just once and can see the possibilities.

Frankly, I started to buy a Little Wing Trimaran. With the increased sail area, lighter weight and jib, it's bound to be a lot faster than the AI. No doubt it is one sweet boat. But... it doesn't have the Mirage Drive and this is the single overriding thing that gives the Hobie boats a distinct advantage in so many areas. The AI is simply a very versatile boat in a way that most sailing vessels aren't.

So yes, there's at least one thing I like. In fact, I like it enough that I own 4 Hobies.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In fact, the weather report calls for possible moderate winds on Sunday. Armed with a half dozen sponges and a manual bilge pump, I plan to be on the water.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Kirkman wrote:
But... it doesn't have the Mirage Drive and this is the single overriding thing that gives the Hobie boats a distinct advantage in so many areas.

The roller furler mainsail is pretty huge too, as you'll discover the first time you take it out in 20+ knot winds.