Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: getting out of a TI
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Short Female, mid 50's, overweight, no stomach muscles. Yep, that about sums it up. With the mirage drives in place, what would be the easiest way to get out of the Tandem? I am ok getting into it.
My fear is scraping my butt and thighs on the side rail objects such as the handles, the lever for the rudder and the nobs for the ama bungies. So, after much wriggling, I do get out, but not to the chagrin of my husband. He says 'stand up' and put my foot over the side. How do I do that with my legs straight out, and the mirage drives in the way? Can I use the peddle on the mirage drive to hoist myself upright? I don't want to break it. What have others out there found as the best way to disembark? Silly questions, but I'm sure you all have had your growing pains too. LOL

Post subject: Re: getting out of a TI
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Which seat is yours? Front or back?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your Hubby doesn't park the boat and open the door for you?? :roll: Tsk Tsk,

You should probably avoid using the drive as leverage. In fact, you should remove it and get it out of the way before landing/exiting. Keep it leashed.

Then you can slide/lift your bum onto the side gunwale, and swing your legs over the side while gripping the rear Aka bar and one of the soft lift handles, or anywhere else that works. Slide gradually into the water, (it will support your weight so you don't need much arm strength for this) and hold the Aka with both hands. (Pick your strongest side).

You may have to duck in the water, (under the Aka) whenever you dismount between them. With practice, I think you'll be able to scoot your tush directly out onto the rear Aka and slide into the water behind the Akas, rather than between them.

Does this description make sense?

If you have tramps, you have to use this rear exit strategy anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

NOHUHU wrote:
Your Hubby doesn't park the boat and open the door for you?? :roll: Tsk Tsk,

You should probably avoid using the drive as leverage. In fact, you should remove it and get it out of the way before landing/exiting. Keep it leashed.

What my wife does (from sitting in the front seat) she removes the Mirrage drive and passes it back to me to get it out of the way. Then sort of crouches forward and puts one hand on the mast step for a grab handle (it dosn't look gracefull from the back seat but works well). With that she partly stands to swing a leg over and sits on the side on the boat. Holds the outher side grab handle whilst swinging the other leg over. That is the wobbly part so has to be done with the boat heald nice and steady.

We push that side aka up on to the sand and she stepps over.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Easy peasy. Tie a rope strop to the crossbar in front of your seat with a loop for a handle to pull yourself up on. Adjust the length to enable you to get the right leverage. If necessary put in one for each hand.

PS. Removing the Miragedrive first is probably a good idea, and in order to keep your "getting up handles" tidy, attach thinnish bungee cords to the rear of the TI somewhere, so the handles lie along the side of the hull until needed.

I have something similar on mine, which also acts as a re-boarding step if pulled down into the water (I also cheated by fitting a cushy "captain's chair" with swivel, which is cheating, but I am 66 and a fat b*stard LOL)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow great comments everyone! I usually am in the rear position. I like the idea of using rope handles, because I cannot reach the crossbars to pull myself up. That's a great idea. As well, I never thought about taking out the drive, as I was using it to push on when attempting to stand over the side. But with it out of the way, there would be more room. Also, with using rope handles, I could bend my knees and pull myself up to a standing position, and simply step over the side. You guys are great. Thanks ever so much! As for "fat bastard", you gotta do what you gotta do, lol - it looks good, and 25 yrs. ago, my hubby DID open doors for me, but that quickly went out with the trash, lol But he has a lot of awesome qualities that are taking us through to retirement. :) His skill with getting in and out of the TI are amazing, as he is 6'2 and really fit. In fact, when he sails alone, he moves about from seat to seat, having fun. Our tramps are back-ordered, but I'm sure he'll be using them to hike out in higher winds, with me in the back lol. Thanks again everyone.