Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I first saw an SoS seat on Bob Nichols' Tandem at Ft DeSoto--Bob was on the start line of the 2012 the WaterTribe Everglades Challenge at the time. It looked like a beautiful seat for the AI/TI, but in the end, $200 was a bit stiff.

A couple years ago, I took a spare Ocean Kayak seat (stiff EVA foam-type material) and cut it in half. I attached the back half to my wife's Hobie seat and the bottom half to mine. Both sit on top of the Hobie seat cushion. They make the Hobie seat much more comfortable and raise your bottom .5-.75 inch higher.

As Chris says, "the price is right."

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

sun E sailor wrote:

Sun E
I like the seat idea and will have to search if I can get one here in Aus.

But I also like your version of the tiller handle. Sort of like having a wood grain dash in the car.

What type of wood did you make it out of? and how well is it standing up, particularly the central attachment to the stainless steel shaft?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Geordie

Glad you like it, sorry its taken me so long to get back to you.

The main reason why I made this handle was to give me better leverage. I also have carpel tunnel issues in that hand, and when I'm sailing for long periods of time it acts up bad. I've had it on my boat for about 3 months now and it's holding up great! It was an experiment at first, but now I wish I had made this handle months ago. It has really helped to keep my left hand from getting so sore and I love having some wood on my boat.

I started out with a block of teak measuring 1 1/4" thick. The finished handle is about 7 3/4" long. The most difficult and important part was getting the underside holes and grove to match the existing s.s. post and rod as pictured below.

It took a few times but with patience, a Drill Press and Dremel Tool I was able to get an exact fit. The sanding part was easy using a belt sander and then by hand. I finished it with several coats of a marine grade urethane.

I really like working with wood, and I have the patience and time to do so... or maybe I'm just crazy :? .
It was worth the effort, but it took some time to get it right.

I plan on making another one after I build my Haka Benches. The next one will have a ball on the end for attaching the hikeing out post.
I wish Hobie would make a longer handle just for this reason :wink: .

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks sun E,
I like it.
I also grew up in the days of making wooden boats in the shed with my Dad, so a bit of woodwork is a nice touch.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Question - since this seat doesn't have built in seat locating and locking pegs like the Hobie seats do, does the seat bottom have a tendency to slip out on you? Creep forward any over several hours?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Geordie wrote:
Thanks sun E,
I like it.
I also grew up in the days of making wooden boats in the shed with my Dad, so a bit of woodwork is a nice touch.

Geordie, Thanks for sharing that, that's a really great memory to have.

Tom Kirkman wrote:
Question - since this seat doesn't have built in seat locating and locking pegs like the Hobie seats do, does the seat bottom have a tendency to slip out on you? Creep forward any over several hours?

Tom, I don't know what happened, but yesterday someone replied to your question and now their post is gone... strange :? . Perhaps Hobie can put it back up?

In any event, the answer to your question is no. I had the same concern as you did in the begining, but this seat dosen't move, slip or slide anywhere; it's quite solid. Because of its design I can attach it to the front existing Padeyes that the Hobie seat attached to, and behind I just swapped out for the same Padeyes. If you need clearer pictures, let me know I'll send some more.

My wife suffers from back problems so I installed another one for her in the front of my boat the other day. Yesterday we were able to sail together longer than she was ever able to do before :) .

If you decide to put one in the front of your TI, you'll need to put metal cleats behind the seat to attach the rear web straps. Hope this helps to answer your questions.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sun E sailor wrote:
Tom, I don't know what happened, but yesterday someone replied to your question and now their post is gone... strange :? . Perhaps Hobie can put it back up?.

Sorry sun E, that was me. I pulled the post because I didn't think I was saying anything you hadn't already explained. If it makes things any clearer, what I was saying was that most kayak (non-Hobie) seats, have straps that attach to the bottom of the seat at the back and by anchoring those straps, you can prevent the seat slipping forward, which is what you have done by replacing the cleats behind the seat with padeyes. Obvious with the wisdom of hindsight, but that's true of most great ideas.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Chris,
Oh thanks, that's really good to know where it went. I feel so much better now. At my age I could have just imagined it, like walking in to a room not knowing why I went there; I was worried there for a moment :? .
That clears everything up right? OK, now remind me again what we're talking about? :roll: .

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sun E sailor, chrisj, Tom K, CC and all others, I put two on my TI Saturday am and just got back from testing today. My Girl and I were out for over 5 hr and the seats are great. She has back trouble also and with the better back support of the new seats She had no trouble at all today. Now She wants to drive!!!! :mrgreen: I put a one inch pad from sports authority under each to lift us out of the puddle and used the air pad from the Hobie seats on top and they were the best I've had. By being higher in the back and firmer no back fatigue at all. I would say the best money I have spent. Better position for peddling also.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, I have one on the way and will give it a go. Thanks for the feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Larry,
That's sounds great! I'm glad to know you and your Daughter were more comfortable and able to spend more time together.
I'll have to try that extra pad thing on the bottom of my seat too, sounds interesting :wink: .

Now take my advice and Release The Helm.
Sorry, you're not going to win this one my friend :roll: .

Confucius say: "When we let things go, they come back to us".
Sun E Sailor say: "My Daughter had me from the day she was born" :) .

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

While on the subject of elevating the seat out of the puddle, I've been considering pouring some flexible epoxy or polyurethane resin in the seat well, to make a cast. Anyone have any experience with these materials?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

ChrisJ,
I am using a piece of EVA high density closed cell foam about 1" thick under my seat for comfort and to lift me up a bit out of the puddle. The only thing is, the flat foam slab does not let water drain under it too well. I am thinking about carving some drainage grooves in the underside of the foam or adding a section of bathroom/shower matting which is made to grip and drain (sort of a cross weave of rubber tube).

Certainly sounds like we are all searching for a better way and putting out the challenge to Hobie to come up with an elevated, dry and comfortable seat.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sun E sailor, My Girl friend not daughter, although she looks young enough. :mrgreen: Her back is fused with a rod just above the hips so the change of seating made a great difference to her. Before she could only stand about 2 hours. Sunday she didn't want to come in after 5 hours, but the wind was leaving and we needed to fight the tide. Gods timing not ours. It was a beautiful day on the water.

I to think about the here after a lot, ( what in the heck did I come in here after)....... :?:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

larryhts wrote:
Sun E sailor, My Girl friend not daughter, although she looks young enough. :mrgreen:

Opps sorry about that :oops: , but now you really don't stand a chance :lol: :lol: :lol: .

2014 Tandem Island

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next