Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had a little water in each hull after the most recent sail...maybe a cocktail glass full of water came out when I pulled the plugs on the ramp.

I have a little fiberglass showing on the very bottom, but they pass the leak test and are smooth to the touch. The deck/hull seal is perfect and did not bubble during leak test.

It appears the factory rubber looking seals around the pylon are starting to deteriorate, and there is old silicone sealant along the groove in the end of the pylon.

Should I remove the old rubbery seal and re-seal? What would be the best product to use?

Also, the screws that attach the rudder assembly do not have any type of silicone seal, but at one time there was a seal based on the dark paint color around the screws.

Should I unscrew everything and seal as I re-seat the screws, or should I just make sure that the screws are tight and seal over the screws?

Thanks for the help, dreaming of a water-tight boat!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:45 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

A "cocktail glass" worth of water is not a significant amount. It could be from condensation.

Nevertheless, if you feel inclined to re-do the silicone on the pylons, just remove the old (a "V" shaped scraper helps), clean with acetone and re-seal with silicone sealant (any clear silicone from the hardware store will work fine).

To seal the gudeons / drain plug housings, remove all the hardware (if you can - see below), and all the old silicone. Let things dry out in the sun and then clean with acetone. Put a small bead of silicone around the bolts on the back of the gudgeon and re-install. For the drain plug housing, put a small bead around on the back of the plate and re-install.

If the gudgeon bolts are frozen, DO NOT force them. Seal around them. If you shear off a bolt head, you've created a really big problem.

But like I said, a small amount of water is not a big deal.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

thats a normal amount because the boats have vent holes so it could be leaking there

1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 Laser Radial/4.7 #190471
S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P