Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snagged furling line
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all,
I read a few weeks ago somewhere in the forum, of a fella who snagged his furling line under the area where it normally winds around the mast. I encountered that same problem! I scoured the forum, looking for the remedy he supplied, as I didn't write it down, and I can't find it. Can anyone remember how to rig the furling line so it doesn't get caught underneath when furling the sail back into the mast? He had a method that stopped this from happening. I would love to adjust mine too.

Post subject: Re: Snagged furling line
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On the AI, if you adjust the turnbuckles inside, under the mast area so the space between the bottom of the reefing spool and the top of the aka x-bar is less than 1/2 the thickness of the reefing line, will mostly fix the problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I added an extra pulley to make the furling line feed at a straight line instead of at an angle.

see posts here http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=27537&start=30

and

kayakman7 wrote:
My front seater isn't quite strong enough to furl in heavy weather, so I added three cheek blocks, a new harken cam cleat, and a longer furling line. I also replaced the sheet with a higher quality line and found it runs much smoother, which was a problem since I switched to 3:1.
See pics...

Cheers,

J

if you have an AI you wouldn't need to run to the back seat, of course, but you can see from the photos how the angle improves with the extra pulley ( it's even better using two.)

cheers,

j

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Crescendo34

AI or TI? The other question is, what's actually causing the Furling Line to get snagged in the first place?

If it's because the Furler Drum has started moving up the mast, then there will be a space created between it, and the top of the Mast Bearing Plate allowing the Furling Line to get caught up in there. viewtopic.php?f=75&t=34816

This can be particularly annoying when you're just about land your boat on shore, there's a big crowd of people watching, and you can't furl your sail :oops: . Of course this never happened to me :roll: , but recently I did repair mine by re-gluing the Furler Drum to the Mast with epoxy.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a TI. - I think it was just that I was not holding the furling line taught, as mentioned. So don't think it's a big deal at this time, but will keep an eye. Thanks everyone for the feedback.