Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had the opportunity to use my husband's Outback kayak last week and now I want one of my own!! But, it's pretty heavy and I don't think I can get it up on my Thule Xsporter truck rack all by myself so I want to buy the Thule Hullavator and use it to help get it up on my truck rack. But, I read one review that said the Outback is too big for the Hullavator but then I see on youtube a couple of videos (dated 2010 and 2009) that show putting a Hobie Outback in a Hullavator and it working just fine.
I'm new to this forum and I look forward to learning a lot from all you experienced Hobie fans (fanatics??)
Julie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have two Hullavators and I use them with two Outbacks.

Big Red (my first Outback)
Nautawake (Outback I bought for Hubby)
Nautayachta (Sport for the grandkids)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you so much for your reply!! I'm going to go buy both the outback and a hullavator tomorrow!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The older models of the Hullavator were to narrow to fit an Outback. The new models have been modified to accept a wider kayak. I used a Hullavator prior to purchasing a trailer. Got to say that the trailer is really the way to go.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Also, be sure, if you have a garage, that your roof mounted Hullavators clear the top of your garage doors when empty ...or you may have to get used to removing them every time you garage your car.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My thanks to all that responded to my question.
I pick up the hullavator on Wednesday but I went ahead and bought a Revo 11. The Outback was just a little too big for me to wrestle around with. My husband now thinks he's going to steal my truck and hullavator to use for his Outback and he also likes the look of my nice new Revo 11 too!
Happy kayaking!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

And I was wrong about the clearance of the Hullavator. I've just found that the "U" carriers can quickly be removed fro the car rack, leaving just a low bracket.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A tip with the hullavator and outback combination. I am not sure that mine is an "older" model,bought in 2011, but the horns are narrower than the outback's belly, so you have to space them farther apart. In my case, it is a little over 5' which means I can't activate both triggers at the same time.

My tip: use a racquet ball / tennis ball to hold one trigger open while you activate the other. After struggling for 10+ outings I figured this out and now I am extremely happy with my hullavators.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good call, jmoser! I had forgotten about that. My husband and I used the Hullavators together, with some coord reqd. We haven't taken the big truck boating in years, now that I have a class B and a Rack & Roll. But this thread has got me thinkin' about a way to use those babies on my bigger DeeZee, then I can haul more gear and toys... :idea:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

jmoser- thank you so much for the tip on the tennis ball. I just installed the hullavator on my truck rack and yes, it just a little too far to reach both handles. Today I just used a clamp to hold the handle open until I can go get a tennis ball or racket ball. I would have been redoing my whole setup if I hadn't read your post this morning.

Now I can get either my Revo 11 and my husbands' Outback up on the truck all by myself.
Can't wait to get my Revo in the water this weekend!!