Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Help Please! Obvious newbie. Simple and secure way to transport 2 Revolutions and 1 Outback on 5'x8' trailer with removable wood sides? Need trailer for college kids stuff. Trailer will have extended tongue for towing vehicle clearance of yaks. Currently ratchet strapping all three together in multiple areas and using pool noodles between and underneath yaks for cushion. Too time consuming;need simpler system. Prefer not to permanently place cross beams for yak mounts($ and convenience). Long trips planned. Desire simple,secure and cost-effective system to load 'n go(KISS). All tips and suggestions greatly appreciated(I need to impress my kids ).
Thank You!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Photo of said trailer?

Go on Google or Yahoo photos and type in kayak trailers... good stuff there..

we have a lil trailer thing here as well..

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=41773

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I use a 6x10 utility trailer and it transports four Outbacks just fine...the best thing is that I can remove the upper level bars and use the trailer as it was originally intended. My yak mod was simply using 1 1/8" box steel bolted to the gunwhales (sides) of the trailer for the lower level and the same stock bolted to four uprights (two for each bar) for the upper level -- you can also adjust the spread of the bars so you are supporting the yaks at their strongest structural point. We then took an old used truck bed tool box and mounted it up front on the trailer and it holds everything needed for three yakers freeing-up the bed of my truck for our fishing gear. Hope this helps, it really is quite easy and am very surprised that more folks haven't gone down this road but I am a "simpleton". The only advice I might add would be to purchase a 6x12 trailer because it places the wheels 2' further behind the fulcrum (hitch) making a long backing job a whole lot easier (more a kin to backing an actual boat trailer)...the 6x10 is very critical with how you back it down to the water's edge...have fun!

Nick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:19 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

BlueH2o wrote:
The only advice I might add would be to purchase a 6x12 trailer because it places the wheels 2' further behind the fulcrum (hitch) making a long backing job a whole lot easier...
Or you can get a hitch extender. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here's a pic of our trailer. Really quite simple and transports up to four Hobie Outbacks very easily, tool box just adds another level of storage. Another nice thing about using a utility trailer with 14" tires is the trailer is doing about the same speed as your vehicle instead of the vehicle doing 65mph and the trailer doing 120mph with 8" tires :shock: :shock: ...sorry for the two "peoples" in the way but this was the only photo I had available. Was in a similar predicament as you with having to use the trailer for actual "trailer" use but made this simple mod to transport the yaks. Used it today and it just reminded me again how nice it is...hope this helps!

[img][IMG]http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/h1b3/KAYAK/P1060102.jpg[/img][/img]

Nick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:37 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru