Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hlalibe wrote:
The only problem i had is when i sailed in a little too strong winds and i broke the ropes holding the sail. Actually the crimp failed. So i just changed the ropes and used no crimps at all.

I also had a somewhat high wind (maybe low teens, pointing) failure of the crimp holding the two side shrouds together, allowing the mast to lean quite a bit towards the leeward side. I solved that issue by re-centering the shrouds and tying a secure knot. I don't want to sail upwind with a whole lot of force on the rig, the attachment points on the kayak really look close to overloading and possibly tearing free from the hull. Safer to sheet out a bit and crack off the wind, and lower the loads on the rig, pointing is not a strong point anyway. I added a Harken block to the mainsheet system at the back, makes the sheet run more freely.
The sailing rudder is very helpful, it does seem to bind up more often lately, both steering and raising and lowering. I need to investigate the cause and devise a cure for that issue.
I love this kayak: fun, good speed, moves easily thorough the water, incredibly stable, just can't go in rocky, shallow creeks.
It's not good racing in a sailboat fleet either, took 2.5 times as long to finish a windward leeward course as a Sunfish, with pedaling only to get out of irons, using standard fins, fins down going upwind, up when going downwind unless rudder stalled. DFL in every race, by lots, using an arbitrary 105 Portsmouth handicap, 250 would have been more realistic.

Ed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi from St Helens, England.
I have had the Hobie i12 three months. I ordered a sail which failed to arrive until the end of summer; I have not had chance to try it due to storms locally. The craft is superb. I have been on the Wye, the Severn, The Avon and the Dee in Cheshire but the best day I had was on the LEEDS-LIVERPOOL CANAL at Burscough. You have to lie flat back to get under the lift bridges and I surprised many people sitting in the waterside pubs! On Ullswater I made a sail with my anorak and the paddle like a spinnaker and it ran well! The more you use the Hobie then you find out the easy ways to deflate it into the bag. Keep the hatch just open and make sure the rudder is protected inside the fold. I broke the cleat on the right side, it was only a flimsy thing and the dealer is replacing it. You settle the wheels under the centre and fold the two ends to abutt. Then fold again, pulling the bag up around it . Pulling the straps tight in order makes the air depart and the material becomed easily manageable foldwise. I can be off the water and in the car boot in twenty minutes without hurrying. I note that there are no rod parks and so one would have jury-rig one's own. I have all weather velcro but wonder if the adhesive might degrade the hull material slightly? I launched from the sailing club at Glenridding one sunny day and soon had a crowd round me, full of questions and waiting to see what the Hobie performed like. Everyone was full of praise. I must get out with that sail today. Advice of manufacturer is to limit windspeed use to 10mph - I see from these posts that that is not heeded!
I would be interested in meeting up with any Hobie i12 owners in the North of the UK, perhaps for races etc.
Best wishes to all , and many thanks to HOBIE.
Peter Fleming (a young 68)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

G'day Peter

Just a tip when you start sailing the i12. Treat it like a motor sailor and peddle through the tacks. Life goes much easier that way. Also rack the mast slightly forward which seems to balance the boat better.

They are fantastic boats and I am just waiting for the weather to warm up a bit down here in Tasmania before getting out a again.

Cheers Tasman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi every one

4th season with my I12s here in Switzerland.

This boat is not aging ! Color is not changing, all equipment functioning well.

Just notice one thing today though:
Under the kayak, near the little hole where the water can escape, there is some kind of bump. Seems to be a roundish piece of plastic pushing on the rubber. I can move it slightly by pushing on it, but it comes back . No idea what this is , it could damage the rubber if I pass on some rocks .

Help would be appreciated

Thanks

Hugues

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi together from northern germany,

this is my first post in this forum. I am owning a "I 12 S" for about 3 weeks. It is a very good boat with the sail and the bigger rudder. The last two nights I was sleeping on the boat.

Gas Yakker

Your problem might be the direct connection from the front hatch to the bilge. Probabliy something little has "walked" back until it reached the the the part that lets the water flow back from the cockpit to the sea. This little part stoppt the movement backwards.

I would try to put the kajak on its nose and try to push that thing backwards to the bow storage area. Just an idea :idea:

Best regards

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased a i12 and the biggest problem I’ve had is with the dealers. I went to a dealer in Wisconsin to buy a kayak. Once I looked at the set-up and quality of the Hobie, I decided to buy one. Of course, they only had the display model, which I really didn’t want. I was leaving for Michigan and wouldn’t wait for a new one, so I considered it. Then they told me it was last year’s model. They swore there were no upgrades or changes on the boat, like the Twist and stow rudder... Stupidly, I bought the boat. It had the old rudder … that didn’t work right and front section that leaks-which I found out when I got it in the water.
Hauled the boat to Michigan and decided to buy the sail. The Hobie dealer swore that all sails for the Mirage line were the same. She sold me one which turned out to be used and missing ropes. Drove back and another guy said, no, the inflatable’s have their own sail and they didn’t have any… :evil:
The kayak…this is the most fun I’ve had on a boat on our small fishing lake and on Lake Michigan. Small lake: I put a four year old in the seat to peddle and I sat behind the seat on a portable canoe seat, with the paddle. Perfect. He was safe, very close in front of me and peddling and steering the kayak! My extended family fished from it. The larger adults >300lbs-still fit, although they overflow the seat, and had a great time. We were so surprised at the stability and complete lack of tippyness total stability. Lake Michigan: One day the waves got 3-6 feet +. With the peddles and paddles, I was out past the surf in no time. I flew past the paddlers. I also noted that our kayak was out there all day. Others seemed to want to be out on the Lake for about 30 minutes-we didn’t want to come in. I was swept off the boat once, when I came in and didn’t follow the-stay perpendicular to the beach rule. The boat hit bottom and the wave washed me off. I stood up and was fine. What a blast! Wish I had the sail! Next year!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

klock55 wrote:
I noticed the missing stay in the picture in the 08 brochure also. I did get the larger rudder and hope to have the sail next week. One good thing about having stays, you can ajust the Mast to get rid of any weatherhelm. Be safe and have a great Spring.

Ken

Ken, i bought the sailing rudder for the i9. My intent was to increase the bite of the rudder for turning and fishing. So I attached the sailing rudder in the standard position for the install. After installing I thought about the smaller rudder shape and the shape of the sailing rudder looked to fit together rather well. So I attached the smaller rudder to the sailing rudder with two bolts and locking nuts. I have a really good bite in the water and with sailing the rudder helps hold in line better also... I am not a sailer so i do not know the terms to use... Hopes this helps you.

One draw back is the rudder is to heavy to be picked up without getting out of the yak and hand operation to get it up... Don't break the lines trying to lift the rudder out of the water...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quick answer for Hlalibe?
I would make sure to store the yak in the winter inside where you are storing the yak in the temp ranges suggested by Hobie... I keep my stored folded all the time due to space. In Texas I am more concerned with heat than cold... What are the low temps in Switzerland? Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:57 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Seems to be a roundish piece of plastic pushing on the rubber. I can move it slightly by pushing on it, but it comes back . No idea what this is , it could damage the rubber if I pass on some rocks .

Also to me, it seems possible that something has slipped from the cargo hatch area and into the bilge. Maybe stand it on end (bow) and try to shake it forward.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i12s owner for 3 months.
Had to give up alot of activities due to knee issues-knee replacement coming in a year or so... Ive had to find a replacement for fun/stimulating water exercising, as the ocean has always been my favorite playground.

My brother bought an i12s for travelling, and loves his. After much discussion I decided to really check it out. Boy am I glad I did!

This kayak fills the bill for me. Since I don t have a garage the inflatable is the way to go for those of us with limited storage space.

Because of the positioning with the pedal system, there is minimal weight bearing on my knee, and I find with little pain I can peddle for hours and miles. Out of the water I cant even walk up and down stairs without extreme pain/discomfort or go more than a block without having to turn back in frustration. I am getting more in shape with each outing! Love it! Next month I am going to try night kayaking for an added after workout bonus.

The i12S has been not only been physically beneficial to use, but mentally fullfilling as well. Theres just something about being on the water ...magical. The quiet....the freedom to go whereever.

Im getting ready to get the sail kit so I can experience more thrills. Wish me luck.

Hobie Kayak lover for life,
cheers
Kat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Quote:
Seems to be a roundish piece of plastic pushing on the rubber. I can move it slightly by pushing on it, but it comes back . No idea what this is , it could damage the rubber if I pass on some rocks .

Also to me, it seems possible that something has slipped from the cargo hatch area and into the bilge. Maybe stand it on end (bow) and try to shake it forward.

Finally managed to get the plastic part that was stuck in my hull, actually their were two , similar, definitely kayak parts that got unglued, triangle shape with curved sides, we can see them on this picture:
https://picasaweb.google.com/m/viewer#p ... 3672938322

Appreciate if someone can tell me where they go and how I should repair this

Thanks a lot

Hugues

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello Hugues,

We cannot see your photos. You might want to refer to this posting on how to incorporate photos in your message:http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12574.

Are they triangular or rectangular? Rectangular could be the cleat for the rudder?

Good luck
Donna

Feathercraft Big Kahuna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello Hugeus,

those two triangular plastic pieces fits into the right and left corner behind the front hatch upside of the left and right airchamber. (Klappe auf machen und oberhalb der linken und rechten Luftkammer die Teile von hinten reindrücken. War bei mir auch lose. Ab und zu mal checken. Es ist kein Defekt.) They are only pressed in without glueing.

Best regards

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

letstry4 wrote:
Hello Hugeus,

those two triangular plastic pieces fits into the right and left corner behind the front hatch upside of the left and right airchamber. (Klappe auf machen und oberhalb der linken und rechten Luftkammer die Teile von hinten reindrücken. War bei mir auch lose. Ab und zu mal checken. Es ist kein Defekt.) They are only pressed in without glueing.

Best regards

Ok clear
But if I'm not gonna glue them, what's the risk they end up inside the kayak once more ?

What is their purpose ? What can happen if I don't put them back ?

Thanks a lot

Hugues (kayaking in Ticino)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think the pieces are for stabilisation. On my boat I found the right one disconnected and after putting it back to its place it holds. Just check sometime when you unpack the boat. If you don't use them, I don't know what happens. Probably nothing. Maybe it helps if you put a little tape to hold it on place.

Nice paddling in Ticino!